Help with Mom's coffee service?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Mabs

Help with Mom's coffee service?

Post by Mabs »

Trying to find information on my mom's coffee service. I believe it was a wedding present in 1955. Probably American-made, probably on the low-end price wise. I can't find/don't recognize the quality mark, but I had it tested and it is sterling. I'm attaching a picture of the (unpolished) coffee pot. There are sugar and cream vessels, too. Anybody know this mark? Thanks.

Traintime
contributor

Re: Help with Mom's coffee service?

Post by Traintime »

Silverplate work...been discussed in some threads, a variation of the mark is here: https://www.925-1000.com/silverplate__Unk.html
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi Mabs and welcome to the forum.

Your images are not visible (or no longer visible) as you seem to have used an inappropriate hosting site. https://postimages.org is recommended (click 'Share', then copy and paste the 'Hotlink for forums' code to embed your images). Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Phil
Mabs

Post by Mabs »

Reposting pictures, properly this time. The mark is similar to the one mentioned by Traintime, but this one isn't marked 'silverplate' and a test at the refiner's confirmed it's sterling. Still, the first and third marks are the same or very close, so probably the same maker, the famous "Unknown".

MGArgent
contributor

Post by MGArgent »

The same teapot with the same mark was sold on eBay and was listed as silverplate with the manufacturer being Meneses Orfebres from Spain.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

While eBay is certainly not an irrefutable source, it does support the assertion that this teapot is silverplate.

Are you able to share what type of test the refinery used to confirm it is Sterling? (x-ray, acid, etc.)?
MGArgent
contributor

Post by MGArgent »

Oops, I had linked to a website which in turn was linked to an auction website (violation of the posting requirements).

I will try a different method that I think is in compliance with the posting requirements.

If you search the phrase:

"Meneses Orfebres of Madrid Spain Coffee Pot 7.5 In. Silverplate Hollowware"

you should be able to find images of the same teapot with the same mark.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”