Mermod Jaccard & Co JAC ROSE

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
hpidaves

Mermod Jaccard & Co JAC ROSE

Post by hpidaves »

I came across this beautiful place/oval soup spoon made by Mermod Jaccard & Co. I discovered the bright cut pattern is virtually identical to Jac Rose (Holmes & Edwards, 1892). The maker's mark shows "MERMOD JACCARD & CO" with a patent date of 1886. H&E Jac Rose shows a patent date of 1892, 6 years after the Mermod Jaccard date of 1886. It strikes me as interesting that the earlier maker (Jaccard) begins with JAC. Is it possible the pattern is named for Jaccard?

Anyone know anything about this?

Regards,
Dave

Traintime
contributor

Re: Mermod Jaccard & Co JAC ROSE

Post by Traintime »

Shown first as Gorham Sterling around 1885-6: https://www.sterlingflatwarefashions.co ... Rose1.html

Mermod et al were heading toward becoming retailers only, with all outsourced production around 1890. Try to clarify what all is in that Patent box at the first and last....."E" could be a weight code in sterling wares, but why no quality mark?
hpidaves

Post by hpidaves »

I also noticed the figure before the PAT mark appears to be a combined H and E, with the right side of the H being the left side of the E. Could this be for Holmes & Edwards, with Mermod Jaccard being the retailer mark, as you pointed out?
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Yes, that would be their mark. And the lone "E" seems to be associated with the "sterling inlaid" marks, a process aquired in 1887 (as follows in text) just after Gorham filed patents on Jac Rose design. Might imply H&E was working under license from Gorham (protected by their 1886 patent) for use on silverplate applications only.
Material refs:

hpidaves

Post by hpidaves »

It appears you have it exactly right. Can you please tell me if this is the book you referenced:

It looks very informative and I would like to purchase a copy for myself.

Regards,
Dave
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

That's it.
hpidaves

Post by hpidaves »

Perfect, thank you again.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Are there any other reference books you would recommend?

Regards,
Dave
hpidaves

Post by hpidaves »

Admin,
I apologize for posting the price I paid for a recommended reference book. I was not attempting to sell anything, nor was I asking the value of anything. I will never again post anything that contains a dollar sign.

Again, my apologies.

Regards,
Dave
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

I'm a bit confused here, and wondering where the patents for these patterns were found - is it just the 1885 Gorham and 1892 introduction dates being referenced?

Just to simplify - this piece, retailed by Mermod, Jaccard & Co., is Holmes & Edwards' 1892 engraved silverplate 'Jac Rose' pattern, the 1886 patent date references their second silver inlay patent. It is essentially the same design as Gorham's 1885 engraved sterling 'Jac Rose' pattern, as well as Frank W. Smith's 'Jac Rose', Joseph Seymour's 'Engraved Rose', F.M. Whiting's 'Engraved Rose', and probably some others. The numerous engraved 'Antique' patterns of the 1880s-'90s were often virtually the same motifs ('Lily' was another offered by multiple manufacturers). 'Jac Rose' was the common name for the popular hybrid rose 'General Jacqueminot'...

~Cheryl
hpidaves

Post by hpidaves »

Cheryl,

Thanks so much for the information!

Dave

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”