"O&BM" : Mark Reference & Variant "2B" Mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Traintime
contributor

"O&BM" : Mark Reference & Variant "2B" Mark

Post by Traintime »

This is an observation based on examining a pair of place spoons which are Windsor shaped, having Tipt detail on top, and no engravings. For a photo in this case we refer to mark sample #3 (far right) for Oliver & Bower Ltd. Sheffield & London: http://www.silvercollection.it/electrop ... html#OLIVE

As seen, the third letter in the fourth cartouche is a gothic "M", just as in the above linked sample. However, the transverse mark is not an "A" but rather a "2B" fitted into the same size cartouche. My initial thought might be a reference to Second Best. But louping a wear point on the back of the bowl on one of the spoons reveals a fairly thick plate layer exists. Now both spoons are reasonably heavy in weight, with a thickness of base metal that might have been suitable for commercial useage. All of which raises the question of what the "M" is for...Manufacturing?? No operating dates are given for that firm in the link, and no suggestion of what the "M" might represent.

This is a difficult maker mark to locate, so it is added here to simplify anyone's search. Hopefully more can be revealed.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: "O&BM" : Mark Reference & Variant "2B" Mark

Post by dognose »

Hi Traintime,

I doubt that mark is to be identified with Oliver & Bower Ltd., perhaps far more likely (to me), is that it belongs to Ollivant & Botsford of Manchester.

See: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=32427&p=161853&hil ... rd#p161853

Trev.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Yes, seems much more reasonable. Interesting early history there. Perhaps this might help fill in bits of the latter story of the firm, though not quite as exciting as the hard silver. [I'll see if I can get the marks later to add them to the site.]
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Details of spoon (tipt was actually on handle reverse side):

Note gaps of plate at two points/breaks on drop, maker mark, and additional "2B" mark (undefined) which replaces the assumed quality mark of "A" on linked sample. Refer to list of Alphabetic Symbols found on British Plate: http://www.silvercollection.it/dictiona ... mbols.html

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”