Glascow Silver? Glass Bottomed Tankard

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
nick1213

Glascow Silver? Glass Bottomed Tankard

Post by nick1213 »

Hello!
Was hoping I could get some help with the markings on this glass bottomed tankard, I believe it is the Glasgow sterling mark but not sure what the other marks represent. The inscription dates it to 1859, and is made out to ( I believe) a royal navy Captain. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! Nick

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Glascow Silver? Glass Bottomed Tankard

Post by silvermakersmarks »

The lion rampant and date letter(?) bear a passing resemblance to a Glasgow 1853 hallmark but without the duty mark and town mark:

Leaving aside the unlikelihood of a partial hallmark being passed I note that the lion rampant is not correct (note the height of the tail for example) so I don't think that this is a Glasgow mark. It may be the picture but there is a dullness in the metal which makes me suspect that it could be pewter rather than silver. If it is, in fact, silver then I wonder about an Indian or Chinese origin.

Phil
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Possibly the mark of the London pewterer's Townsend & Compton.

Trev.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

A very similar mug came up for identification a few years ago on a (now defunct) site to which I contributed. I identified the marks at that time as pewter marks of Townsend & Compton: http://www.silver-collector.com/topic4020.html

I am unable to replicate the "quick Google" which I mentioned there.

Phil

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”