Teapot what metal? marks conundrum.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Moodyblue

Teapot what metal? marks conundrum.

Post by Moodyblue »

My wife has had this old teapot in a box of bits since her Grandmother died, on clearing out this week we decided to use the internet to see if we could find out anything about it. Date? Maker? metal? (silver or pewter)

In our search we have found this forum and after 3 days with little result hope someone with some knowledge in this area can help.

Nan had tried to polish it I thinlk with a brillo pad by the look of it, and the hallmarks are very worn, sorry best photos i could transfer at the momement were by mobile telephone camera.

I have drawn a sketch of the marks , the patent No`s are most puzzling i have not found out anything about them yet.

Ahh, not sure how to upload the images to this post, they are jpegs 50k on my harddrive. Ok read the instructions now, registering with image loader, bee back soon.
the teapot

Image[/img]

sketch of marks

well at least I learned about how to use park your pic, if i dont learn anything about Nans old teapot.

better pic of marks on base of teapot, oh and apologies if it is not silver.
Moodyblue

Post by Moodyblue »

Ok now it is in the proper thread thanks, found from reading other threads in here, that EP is electro plating, and that explains the blotchy grey appearance as all the silver plate is rubbed off.

learning all the time.
HYMIE

Post by HYMIE »

This is electroplated brittania metal, which is the less expensive silverplate of the late Victorian and Edwardian times. Do not get it near a naked flame as it has a low melting point and you can melt the metal at 250C., while other metals need double the heat to melt it. It is made from a mixture of metals such as tin and bismuth that is then plated.
Moodyblue

Post by Moodyblue »

Thanks Hymie, I dont think we will ever use it, but at least now we know a little more about it.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”