Mystery marks ... sterling or plate???

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
joannwagner63

Mystery marks ... sterling or plate???

Post by joannwagner63 »

I am hoping someone can help to identify this flatware. Thank you.
AG2012
contributor

Re: Mystery marks ... sterling or plate???

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Fairfield plate, 1915 Alpha pattern.
Regards
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

For William Rogers Mfg. Co take a look here:
http://925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22286
joannwagner63

Post by joannwagner63 »

Thank you for the prompt responses... But I am very new to collectin. So, if I may ask... The original post in that thread says the pieces they had were marked as "plate". So, my question is... does it have to say plate to be plate or is that specified by a part of the hallmark? These do not have "plate" marked on them. Just the three hallmark symbols and the word fairfield. I appreciate your time and assistance.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hello again,
``Plate`` does not necessarily appear in marks.
Lack of ``sterling`` (or particular set of marks) means it`s not solid silver but plate.
Marks are at the top of this page, American, World, British etc.
Regards
joannwagner63

Post by joannwagner63 »

Thank you very much for the explanation. As I'm sure you could tell, I am just starting to collect and really know nothing about it beyond, silver is beautiful and "sterling is good". :) My confusion was created because I read an article online that said if there was, "only 3 hallmarks and doesn't have any of the listed marks, it is sterling". I guess I need to get a book or two. Thank you again.
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello JoanW, I noted your response to AG2012’s comments. I think you will need to learn a little new vocabulary. I offer you first “silver standard guarantee mark”. Most nations have their own and often it is pictorial or a combined pictorial numerical mark as some nations have more than one silver standard. I am English and we have a lion standing on nearly 4 legs. This indicates a silver content of at least 925 parts silver per 1000 parts. This is the sterling standard and the “sterling” marked on USA and Canadian flatware indicates the items silver content is 925 parts and sterling is a standard guarantee mark. Some pieces of silver just have 925 marked on them. In some European countries 800 or 830 is marked on items and this shows the items are of a slightly lower silver content.
A series of marks on an item is sometimes called hallmarks but in truth to be called hallmarks they need to include a silver content guarantee mark. The marks on your spoon do not contain a guarantee mark so should be considered as manufacturers marks and the spoon is silver plated or only contains a minimal amount of silver or even no silver at all.
If you have a look at the reference sections of this web site there is most of the information you need to be an informed collector of silver or silver plate.There is possibly more stuff for silver collectors than silver electroplate collectors.
I would just like to add that in the case of silver items perhaps older than 150 years of age guarantee marks can be missing. You needed an informed Governance to run a silver standard scheme.
Yours
Fishless

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”