German Silver plated bowl

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
JanGroen
contributor

German Silver plated bowl

Post by JanGroen »

Good evening
I have bought this bowl this week. It has lost a lot of its plating but is still a nice piece. It is a piece by WMF (WURTTEMBERGISCHE METALLWARENFABRIK) and is plated on brass. Any idea what the age and pattern name of the bowl? Is it worth getting the plating redone. The plating on underside is perfect.
Groete
Jannie
x
x
AG2012
contributor

Re: German Silver plated bowl

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
This mark (``Metall`` bottom row on the right) was used 1925-1950, overlapping with the mark with horizontal bars 1928 – 1935.
Source: WMF. Glas-Keramik-Metall 1925-1950 (Exhibition catalogue)
Regards
DianaGaleM
contributor

Post by DianaGaleM »

I found your piece in WMF's 1937 "Versilberte Metallwaren Musterbuch." It's item #15108 on p. 107:

In the legend, it's called a "Körbe mit Kugelfüssen," which translates to "basket with ball feet."

It's seldom worth re-silvering a piece of silver-plate, financially. That is, you probably wouldn't get your money back if tried to sell it. However, it's a lovely vintage piece. Re-silver it because you like it. I would.

Diana
DianaGaleM
contributor

Post by DianaGaleM »

P.S. WMF didn't start naming their patterns until after WWII. Before then, everything just had Modell numbers.

The "sp on b" is not a WMF mark. It appears to mean, in English, "silver-plate on brass."

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”