swastika serviette ring

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dhru

swastika serviette ring

Post by dhru »

Hi all, I hope someone can help me identify the origin of this, It was found in my grandmothe'rs house after she passed. It is a silver serviette ring with a blue enamel swastika on it. I have done some research and it has been suggested to me that it is British, of the Victorian period, when swastikas were considered good luck. I have searched this site with no luck, and am finding it quite daunting as to the amount of info there is out there regarding hallmarks - I'm just not sure where to go form here.

The Hallmark reads E.P N.S S.S , There are no other marks that I can see.

Thanks in advance.

I'm so sorry, how do I upload photos here?
dhru

photos of swastika serviette ring

Post by dhru »

Sorry for the mess-up, I figured out how to upload...

dognose
Site Admin

Re: swastika serviette ring

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Not Btitish, and not a hallmark I'm afraid.

Stokes & Son of Melbourne.

Stokes & Son Pty. Ltd. - Melbourne - 1917

Trev.
spobby
contributor

Post by spobby »

The swastika is an ancient symbol that has been found worldwide, but it is especially common in India. Its name comes the Sanskrit word svasti (sv = well; asti = is), meaning good fortune, luck and well-being. This original meaning of the swastika is a far cry from Western associations of the symbol, which are largely negative.
The swastika is most commonly used as a charm to bring good fortune (in which case the arms are bent clockwise), but it has a variety of religious meanings as well, which are described below.
Hope this helps
dhru

Post by dhru »

Thanks guys. We suspected it was Australian because of the boomerang. I was also beginning to suspect it wasn't hallmarked when I started perusing this site. Thanks again for your time :)

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”