Idenitfying UK Silver Plate Mark on Goblets

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Dannd

Idenitfying UK Silver Plate Mark on Goblets

Post by Dannd »

I have a pair of somewhat artistically done goblets (or vases?) that have a base metal of copper and the artist has overlaid it with silver revealing only the copper on certain detailed areas (I believe this was purposefully done for artistic effect rather than just wear). They are both marked (one more clearly than the other which is the photograph attached) with what appears to be a series of shapes (or initials) and a serial number. I have been researching these like crazy but cant seem to get anywhere, primarily because the marking is weak/small and I dont know silverplate markings very well. I apologize this is the clearest I can get for the photo of the mark with the most detail. From what I can gather from the markings it looks like the first character (on the right) is a sideways EP (for electroplate I assume) in an oval. The second character from that in the 'shield' appears to be a lion or some other four legged beast. However the rest are lost to me. Im hoping someone with a bit more knowledge in this may be able to decipher it for me. As always I appreciate your help and time!

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Idenitfying UK Silver Plate Mark on Goblets

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Difficult to be sure from that image, but take a look at James Dixon & Sons, here: http://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_D2.html

Trev.
Dannd

Re: Idenitfying UK Silver Plate Mark on Goblets

Post by Dannd »

Trev,

Thank you again! Its definitely the James Dixon & Sons mark. There seems to be a lot of James Dixon floating around over here in Canada from what I've found.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”