Silverplate marks - Hotel Silver??

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
set212

Silverplate marks - Hotel Silver??

Post by set212 »

Please, are there anyone who can help with some more knowledge related to the following. It is driving me crazy that I have not been able to crack this one.
Please see following marks on small salt-cup:
It is clear this is Silver-plate (The "P")
It is perhaps also rather clear that the two-tower mark is from Denmark indicating silver-plate. The only part perhaps talking against that is that the Tower apparently is laying down on the site. But on the other hand the "P" is also lying down.
The "VTA" could perhaps be "VTÃ…", but not likely. (Ã… is the Danish letter also often written "AA".)
I was specific fascinated because the top marking was so close to the marking the Danish Railways has been using for many years. Experienced people from the Danish Railway Museum as well as older workers at the former Danish Silver company COHR have been evaluated the marks without being able to identify it.
I have come to the possible conclusion that it most probably is "Hotel or Restaurant Silver" and the top marks are for the Hotel.
I have not been able to find anything about the Makers mark "VTA" except one from an older listing. This one has exactly the same marks with the "P" laying down, then the VTA in a square and the laying down two towers.
The top mark here is different —A head with a crown where the word "Victoria" can be read in the band of the crown.
Here a repeat of that picture:
Can anybody ID the "VTA" or and identify the logo for ether the "Victoria" mark or the BRH or RBH Wing-wheel mark.
I think the two-tower mark was also used in Norway, but not sure. I don’t own any of these items. Are just fascinated by the challenge and in direct contact with the owner of the little salt bowl with the Wing-Wheel mark. Please give it a try so I can have piece in my mind. Thanks.
Set212
terry5732

Post by terry5732 »

Look farther East- Russian or Baltic perhaps.
I think the rightmost is a capital "pi" and the backwards "B" looks like a Russian character too. Hard to use translator when you can't type the letters you see.
set212

Post by set212 »

Thank you terry5732.
The 3 bottom marks in boths cases are excately the same marks. My problem here is that the 2 towers on the pot item is so clear two towers and as far as I know only used by Denmark to indicate silverplated.
Obviously it could have been designed/orderet from Denmark but produced somewhere else. (If so, I don't know if they would use the Danish two tower mark.
The Hotel (or what ever it is) could of course be from anywhere.
The Top Wing and wheel mark I have so far found used by:
1. The Danish Railway (DSB) and group related to DSB.
2. Found as front mark one Belgium Diesel locomotive.
3. One researcher suggested looking for that mark in North America inclusive Canada. Have tried but no results.

I was encuraged when I found the Head with Crown ("Victoria") as I hoped this could be a second lead perhaps leading to the manufacturer.
I appreciate that someone takes up this chalenge. I am convincet that one day someone sudently reach something there could lead to a solution of this puzzle.
Thanks again for your efford. Please continue as your time allow.
set212
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The twin tower and P (plet) marks are certainly for Danish silverplate, the fact that they are laying on their sides is not significant. It appears that this was simply an aesthetic choice made by the maker.

Regards, Tom
set212

Post by set212 »

Thank you Tom. I agree.
I have not so far been able to get any info on the maker. It could very well be that there are other items out there with the same marking:
"P" - "VTA" and the "Two Towers" but with different top "logo" or marks.
Please if anyone has such item let us se a picture. It could be helpful if we find one item that can be related to the user (Probably Hotel, restaurant or ferry company.)
set212
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, in 1925 there is a maker of plated goods listed in Kopenhagen, Denmark: ''Elektropletvarefabrik & metalvarefabrik Victoria''. Owner is Nicolai Jensen. Maybe he is the one ? Perhaps the mark 'VTA' is just short for 'Victoria' ? Best wishes, Bahner
set212

Post by set212 »

Bahner, thank you so much for your post here. I will immediately try to see if I can get something that way.
If I find some thing I will let this board know.
Danke.
set212
stinamin

Re: Silverplate marks - Hotel Silver??

Post by stinamin »

Hello, perhaps you are still active on this site. I got a coffie pot that has the same markings that you are looking for. Unfortunetly I have not found out the maker or where it is from. If you know by now, a reply would be so lovely :)
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please start a new topic with images of your item and the marks and we'll do all we can to help.

Trev.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

If this question should arise again, look to see if VTA is being read correctly. There is a DFA firm mentioned in other threads.
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello, marks on a spoon. It looks like "V.T.A" to me. More research is needed here? Retailers?

Fishless
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Or, something to do with certifying standards or grades for commercial useage (aka sanitary wares) in public dining.
twindoog1

Post by twindoog1 »

I have a nice sugar sifter with the same marks on

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”