Help with a fish slice

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
minifreak

Help with a fish slice

Post by minifreak »

Seeing as you so expertly helped me out last time I thought I'd seek your help again with a fish slice we have. I've searched all over the web and this forum and can't find these marks any where. I'm guessing it's probably silver plate but have no idea. Help please?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71381752@N ... 209221252/

Thanks loads :-)
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Help with a fish slice

Post by Qrt.S »

Your spoon is most likely in German silver and possibly plated and made in Sheffield, England by W.F. Wostenholme around the turn of the century. The 4 marks left of J.W are only to deceive illiterate people to believe it is silver but who knows that English sterling silver should have 4-5 marks. The marks do not mean anything and have no other purpose.
burnisherboy

Post by burnisherboy »

It may be that the date of the slice should be c 1845-50 and indeed by a Sheffield maker. There seem to be large numbers of this particular design around and I wonder has anyone ever tabulated the various symbols used by Woolstenholme? The wrigglework engraving , piercing and stamping common to them was presumably done in house or outworked in Sheffield. Burnisherboy
burnisherboy

Post by burnisherboy »

A Boxing Day whoops! Joseph Wolstenholme of Broad Street, Park who also entered a mark for silver at Sheffield in 1850.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Getting interesting, but what was the factory's actual name? Now we have 3 variations.

1. W.F. Wostenholme (also known as Wostenholme & Biggin on 117 Mathilda Street in Sheffield 1876-1879)
2. Woolstenholme 1845-50
3. Joseph Wolstenholme of Broad Street 1850

Can anyone verify something in order to get a correct name, thank you. Please note the difference in spelling!
burnisherboy

Post by burnisherboy »

The correct spelling is Wolstenholme. My mistake as per earlier post. An 1839 advert suggests the firm was founded in 1821. Burnisherboy
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Are you sure if so what is your source? Of course there could be a name mix too.

burnisherboy

Post by burnisherboy »

There may well be a "name mix" but numerous contemorary directories and newspapers all record Wolstenholme. Do not trust much later works who seem to be only to happy to repeat and copy without checking! There are a number of other variations of trade names which can cause confusion. A good example can be seen in the listing in the 1908 publication, "Old Silver Platers And TheIr Marks" of the Birmingham plater Henry Freeth as Henry Freoth in both the text and index. Burnisherboy
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

The illustrations posted by Qrt.S, as far as I'm aware, are not connected with Joseph Wolstenholme. The top one, at least, refers to Wilfred Henry Wolstenholme who was in business as Wolstenholme & MacLaurin (Wilfred Henry Wolstenholme, Henry MacLaurin, George MacLaurin) as Electro-platers until April 1874. Following the break up of that partnership he likely had a period on his own before forming the business Wolstenholme & Biggin (Wilfred Henry Wolstenholme, Henry Biggin, Arthur Wolstenholme) Electro-Platers and Britannia Metal Manufacturers, that partnership was dissolved in November 1879.

As Burnisherboy has stated Joseph Wolstenholme's business was founded in 1821:

Joseph Wolstenholme - Sheffield - 1837

Joseph Wolstenholme - Sheffield - 1852

Trev.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”