Reed & Barton

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
linadoll

Reed & Barton

Post by linadoll »

My thrift store find is a small coffee pot and plate that I bought for $10.00. On the bottom of the pot is REED & BARTON 875 1 PORTION COFFEE and a small eagle engraving. What is interesting is that it has a beautiful old font engraved on the side of it with the word Zinzendorf. The plate has MED & PLATED BY REED & BARTON TAUNTON, MASS No 1575 2 PORTION. I haven't been able to find any information on either with those specific markings and hope that someone might know some history about them and the Zinzendorf engraving and respond to my post.
I have a photo of it but cannot upload when I click on img button, not sure why. I am new to this site.
oel
co-admin

Re: Reed & Barton

Post by oel »

Hi,
Welcome to the Forum.
Your question cannot be answered until you have supplied the required images.
How to Add Images
Posting Requirements
http://www.tinypic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
linadoll

Post by linadoll »

silverly

Post by silverly »

There was a Hotel Zinzendorf that opened in Winston-Salem, North Carolina in 1892. It is easily searched online. So your piece looks likely to be hotelware.
Nice item to have especially if there is a connection with that local.
linadoll

Post by linadoll »

Before I had posted I had already drained searches with the item and Zinzendorf Hotel, I couldn't find any connection. The hotel burned to the ground in 1892 but the R&B hallmark eagle wasn't used until 1928.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

The Zinzendorf Hotel in Winston-Salem was rebuilt in 1906, in business until 1970, demolished in '71. Your pieces, as mentioned, are restaurant/hotelware, the presence of portion or capacity marks is typical. The "MED & PLATED is actually "MF'D & PLATED" - MF'D being an abbreviation for Manufactured.

http://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_R.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

~Cheryl
linadoll

Post by linadoll »

I missed the hotel rebuild. Do you agree with a 1928 date for the pot because of the hallmark eagle?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Reed & Barton date codes: http://www.925-1000.com/RB_Date_Code.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trev.
linadoll

Post by linadoll »

So, possible Zinzendorf Hotel coffee pot with a 1928 date of production by R&B. What does the 875 mean? Why can't I find anything online with the exact marking as shown? Am I the only person in the world that has this item?
silverly

Post by silverly »

875 is a production or pattern number. I don't actually know what the specific designation was that they used for their identification numbers. However, I did find a sugar bowl with lid in that pattern and with the same number online.
linadoll

Post by linadoll »

Still needing more feedback on the 875 and the Zinzendorf engraving. Also, should I polish the pot or leave as is?
Thank you to all that responded. I will post a photo of the plate tomorrow. Rules say only one item per post.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

While the original images are lost, we can borrow some photos that highlight the rather plain decoration of the Reed-Barton #875 line (below). From what can be found, #875 & #1575 seem to be the same line with a patent date of 15 February 1898. Creamers, sugars, pots, and round undertrays are known so far, often designated by written "Portion" amounts rather than by specifying ounce/pints quantities. Known users names are bottom marked, with occasional engravings of such on the sides in fancy script. If actual logos exist, they may have been fewer in application. This looks like a cost savings general line rather than the more embellished custom patterns. A sample 1 Portion undertray marked for the Poland Spring House of Maine (1876-1975) shows this to be a very heavy weight line of wares comparable to the "Indestructo" pieces produced by another firm in the 1920's era.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”