help identifying a ladle

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
johnv

help identifying a ladle

Post by johnv »

My second attempt at a first post - please bear with me, if I have got anything wrong, please let me know and I'll revise it.
We have a sliver ladle which we are fairly sure belonged to the Beechey family (he painted Lord Nelson, and his son went on to be an admiral). Other members of our family have more of this, they are in Canada now.

The handle has what looks to be a castle on it, with flames coming out of the upper windows and roof. I can't find any of the hallmarks, except the 'B', which could be 1797?

Any help greatly appreciated, thank you ..

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

The 'maker's' mark is that of Edward Barnard & Sons (Edward 1, Edward 2, John and William), but I suspect they were only the retailers of your ladle. This appears to be the same mark they entered at Goldsmiths Hall on 29th February 1829.

The Barnards were huge manufacturers of flatware, whose origins can be traced back to Thomas and William Chawner in 1763 and they were still in business up to the 1970's.

Trev.
johnv

Post by johnv »

thanks for that ... I have since bought a book of hallmarks (jackson's Hallmarks) and found the maker, and I think the date (1796) .. the book however does not have the other marks .. where would I find their meaning?

thanks

John
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi John,

Silverplate marks often offer little or no information, short of identifying the maker. The marks on most silverplated pieces of this period were made to imitate silver hallmarks.
There is the possibility that the 'B' could be a date mark, some electro-platers such as Elkingtons did have a dating system, but as your ladle appears to be electro-plated its date would be post 1840.

Regards Trev.
johnv

Post by johnv »

thanks for the replies Trev

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”