Wondering if this "Minerva" mark is correct.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dhlister

Wondering if this "Minerva" mark is correct.

Post by dhlister »

I have a gravy boat with a minerva mark just below the rim. The mark says "MINERVA" within the shield and just above the shied there is a separate mark that says MINERVA. Has anyone seen this version of the MINERVA mark? Can I take it to mean that this piece is French silver at some particular level of purity (.800, .950, etc.)? Thanks!
kerangoumar
contributor

Post by kerangoumar »

Here's the thing about French hallmarks: they are generally small but extremely intricate and detailed. Your mark is not the French Minerva, which you can see at http://www.925-1000.com/Ffrench_marks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ikbid

Re: Wondering if this "Minerva" mark is correct.

Post by ikbid »

dhlister wrote:Image
I have a gravy boat with a minerva mark just below the rim. The mark says "MINERVA" within the shield and just above the shied there is a separate mark that says MINERVA. Has anyone seen this version of the MINERVA mark? Can I take it to mean that this piece is French silver at some particular level of purity (.800, .950, etc.)? Thanks!
Were you successful to find out about this hallmark? where it is from and who is the maker? I have a piece with the same hallmark and I am trying to find out more about it. Thank you for your attention!
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi ikbid,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please start a new topic with images of your item and the marks, and we'll do all we can to help.

Trev.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
‚‚Minerva‚‚ is Paris silver plate manufacturer.As already said, it`s not French Minerva mark for silver.
The mark is seen on Art Nouveau vases with the word ``Paris`` (turn of 19th century). Cannot tell if still in business or closed.
Regards
ikbid

Post by ikbid »

Dear dhlister!
Thank you for your response! I understand that the word "minerva" does not mean silver. I just wanted to know who is this nParis silver-plate manufacturer, the name of the company and whatever information I can get about this particular hallmark.
Thank you very much once again!
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

E.P. Lager of Paris.

See: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=34542&p=201872#p201872

Trev.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”