Canadian silversmith - Reeves?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Hallibag

Canadian silversmith - Reeves?

Post by Hallibag »

I have a simple little ring that's driving me nuts, because I can't identify the silversmith who made it or the organization that it's for. As you'll see in the attached photo, it looks to be a school ring, with a shield bearing the letters BDIC (or BIDC?) over the motto "Labor Omnia Vincit". I've not been able to identify this school, but I presume it's in Canada as that's where the ring was found. Inside, the ring is marked "Reeves", over some kind of mark, then "Sterling", and another mark that looks like a stylized letter "C" with something inside. Does anybody recognize any of these marks? I'd love to know who the maker of the ring is, when it dates to, and the organization it was made for. Thanks!

Traintime
contributor

Re: Canadian silversmith - Reeves?

Post by Traintime »

Have you tried to match that "C"-plus to marks from Birks or Caron Brothers? (Try World Marks page 1 Canadian or old threads in search function.)
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

"Work Conquers All"...found on everything from WWI German war medals to military corps (the "C"?), unions, brotherhoods, day schools, European clock towers, and so on. Carpenters and Joiners....Maybe B-IDC might be an Industrial Design College.
Hallibag

Post by Hallibag »

Traintime wrote:"Work Conquers All"...found on everything from WWI German war medals to military corps (the "C"?), unions, brotherhoods, day schools, European clock towers, and so on. Carpenters and Joiners....Maybe B-IDC might be an Industrial Design College.
Thank you, Traintime! You’ve given me some good avenues to explore further. Will let you know if I figure anything out.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Don't know the emblem or maker's marks, but the 'lion-head-in-C' stamp was a Canadian national mark, used from 1934-78 to indicate the item was Canadian-made...

~Cheryl

Return to “Other Jewelry”