American Maker? Victorian or Newer?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
missfortescue

American Maker? Victorian or Newer?

Post by missfortescue »

Hello, I did try my best to see who this hallmark belongs to but I am at my wits' end.

Would someone please help me out?

This is the bracelet:
And this is the hallmark:

Any help or at least a point in the right direction would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: American Maker? Victorian or Newer?

Post by dragonflywink »

Believe it's most likely mid 20th century Japanese, trademark is unclear, but looks like it might depict Mt Fuji...

~Cheryl
missfortescue

Post by missfortescue »

dragonflywink wrote:Believe it's most likely mid 20th century Japanese, trademark is unclear, but looks like it might depict Mt Fuji...

~Cheryl
I never thought of that - THANKS!

Another odd thing I found is that it is stamped 950, but I thought that Sterling is 925? Rather strange - have you seen any pieces stamped like that?

The mystery continues!
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

'Sterling/950 is very common on Japanese silver, and most silver standards, including American, define 'sterling' as at least or a minimum of 925/1000 fineness. These engraved hinged bangles were very popular, made in various countries, really have little doubt that this one is Japanese...

~Cheryl
missfortescue

Post by missfortescue »

dragonflywink wrote:'Sterling/950 is very common on Japanese silver, and most silver standards, including American, define 'sterling' as at least or a minimum of 925/1000 fineness. These engraved hinged bangles were very popular, made in various countries, really have little doubt that this one is Japanese...

~Cheryl
Thank you so much, Cheryl, very much appreciated!
auaustin

Post by auaustin »

For help in dating hinged bangle bracelet by design and finding, I recommend (admin edit - see Posting Requirements ) .

Bowing to the weight of dragonflywink's greater experience, and just being chatty, not combative, I would like to share that in my experience, hinged bangles with this style of decoration are more commonly made in Mexico and more recently made in Thailand.

In any case, if foreign made (Japan, Mexico, or Thailand - historical centers of sterling silver jewelry production, all), would not the item be required to be stamped with the country of origin? Or is consistent with the country's sterling standard marking system sufficient?

The mark looks like an "A" to me, a letter with some "natural" resemblance to a mountain. When used symbolically, I have most often seen Mr. Fuji depicted with surrounding clouds.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Going to stick with my original opinion - as already said, similar bracelets were made in several different countries, but since this one bears typical Japanese 'STERLING 950' marks, and is also typical in form and engraving to other mid 20th century Japanese pieces, have little doubt that it's Japanese. As also mentioned, I cannot make out the trademark, though can see enough to think it might be peaked, but to my eye, doesn't really resemble an 'A' - suspect that poking around a bit online would turn up similar bracelets, with similar '950' marks and an additional 'JAPAN'. In my personal experience, the majority of jewelry, both fine and costume, is not found stamped with the country of origin - and even if it's assumed that a piece was not purchased where made, imported items could also have the country of origin indicated by a label or tag...

~Cheryl
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

Country of origin is only required when exporting items to certain countries (like the US of A), and is not required for inner-country sale.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Thanks, Jim - my poor wording didn't really make clear that a country of origin, whether permanently marked, or shown on an easily removable label or tag, would only be necessary on items intended for export outside that country. In regards to this piece, it could have easily been originally purchased in Japan - silver was popular with tourists, as well as post WWII military personnel, sometimes even sold at the Post Exchanges.

~Cheryl
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

Spot on as usual Cheryl.
davidross
contributor

Post by davidross »

Cheryl and Jim are correct, of course.

As an additional note, the producers, exporters, and importers of items (silver or otherwise) made in Japan in the immediate postwar period (1945 to mid-1950s) usually preferred not leave any permanent mark of country of origin on the item because of the strong animus toward Japan in most of the allied nations (especially the US) to which such items were being sold.

I believe the stylized "mountain" or "Fuji" mark is one that we have seen rather recently, albeit with "SILVER" rather than "STERLING":

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40627

I am unsure what conclusion can be drawn from this. To my eye, the only link between these two objects is that they both appear to be copies of non-Japanese originals made to suit a Western clientele, whether sold at a PX or tourist hotel in Japan or exported to the West.

Regards
DR
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Geez, can't believe I didn't recall that recent thread - swear I can feel my memory slipping a little more every day, my current theory is that I've finally overfilled my brain with basically useless stuff and now it's just started randomly ejecting bits & pieces of said stuff...

~Cheryl
davidross
contributor

Post by davidross »

Not to worry, Cheryl, you nailed both pieces with solid IDs first time around.

Remind me to remind you if we see this mark again. I'm starting to wonder if it was a mark used by several retailers, perhaps in lieu of a national mark or to signify export silver during the years of the Occupation. Or perhaps nothing more than the mark of a major retailer at a shop in one of the large tourist hotels.

Just wild theories at this point, but sooner or later this mark will show up on an item with its original box, which may provide the answer.

Cheers,

David

Return to “Other Jewelry”