Makers Mark Help with Cool Birds Claw Broach

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
redfoxx11

Makers Mark Help with Cool Birds Claw Broach

Post by redfoxx11 »

So I just got this really cool broach/ pin and I have been looking all over to identify the makers mark.

Was told the pieces is over 120 years old and came from a very wealthy family.

There is one mark on the side of the pin under the SILVER stamp and then one on the pin latch. no other marks.

the craftsmanship and detail are amazing. It is a very unusual piece and I would love to know where it comes from. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Closets I have found is this maker but it has a little p on upper left where as mine has a little A.

AG2012
contributor

Re: Makers Mark Help with Cool Birds Claw Broach

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The source you mention in the post is completely wrong; AV with small letter p on the left has nothing to do with Germany, and it is not maker`s mark but Austria- Hungary empire import mark used 1891(or since 1867 after another source) to 1901.
Small letter on the left is assay office code (p for Budapest in the book) and letter A on your brooch stands for Vienna.
See here:
https://www.925-1000.com/Faustria_02.html
Combination of ``silver`` and Vienna import mark is curious and could be imported from anywhere, even from outside Europe.
In a word, the brooch was imported to Vienna before 1901; made in late 19th century in unknown country, the maker cannot be identified.
Regards
redfoxx11

Post by redfoxx11 »

Thank you very much. That is a great help and really helping me learn about marks.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi, could be Chinese export silver chicken foot.

Chicken feet have been used in high occult magic, voodoo and Santeria for many purposes. Two noted uses are for hanging over an altar or sacred space for protection and safety. It can also be hung over a door or entry way for the same purpose.
In offensive magic it can be symbolically used for the "scratching" of the vision, hearing and speech of ones actions not desired!
It has been used for centuries as both a protection in defensive magic and as a magical weapon in offensive magic.

Peter

Return to “Other Jewelry”