Finnish Sterling Ring ID

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
maxfocus

Finnish Sterling Ring ID

Post by maxfocus »

Hi, everybody,

I've just joined here. Is there a resource that shows maker's marks for Finland? I can't seem to find anything on Silver Forum or 925-1000. I have a ring that appears to have jade beads, although I am not positive about the stone. It is marked 925S - FINLAND - and the maker's mark is the same one shown at the top of the Finland hallmarks date identification page, the one that looks kind of like an anvil. I did not get a good photo of the maker's mark, but I did get good pics of the ring. They are numbers 8, 9 and 10 in this IE album:

http://www.imageevent.com/maxfocus/newfindstoo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd love to know who made it and also if there are other maker's mark resources, since I seem to find a lot of Finnish silver here in Central Florida for some reason.

Thanks,
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Rene,

The anvil mark belongs to the company - Kupittaan Kulta founded by Ellis Kauppi who seems to be the chief designer. Their jewelry is written about in European Designer Jewelry by Ginger Moro, Warman's Jewelry by Christie Romero, New Design in Jewelry by D. Wilcox and Silver Jewelry by Fred Rezazadeh.
Suggest you get a copy of Warman's Jewelry, it has the most complete table of Finnish maker's marks that I have come across - in a reasonable price range. You can access it through Amazon on the Books on Silver page on this site or pick it up in any large bookstore.

Regards, Tom
maxfocus

Finnish Kupittaan Kulta Ring

Post by maxfocus »

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, my budget doesn't allow bookbuying this month. I was also wondering about the lack of year and town hallmarks on my ring. Are the hallmarks voluntary and not required? I can probably date my ring to within a year or so by searching for similar items. I did find quite a few when I searched earlier today.

For some reason, I find more Finnish jewelry here in the Tampa Bay area than any other Scandinavian country.

Return to “European Jewelry”