Ring with french(?) hallmarks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Rodinal

Ring with french(?) hallmarks

Post by Rodinal »

Hello! I just found one ring from the fleemarket with quite poor quality hallmarks. For me, one looks like a french Minerva. The other one is maker's mark I assume? I have been searching for french marks, but almost all is more diamond-shape, not oval like this. If I see correctly, there is letters G (or C?) and A and some shape between them. Looks like Minerva also has some mark on its cheek wich looks like greek letter "phi" turned sideways. That is also something I haven't been seen anywhere in the internet. Am I even on the right tracks with france or is this ring just some poor quality/fake silver?

Thanks for help already!

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Ring with french(?) hallmarks

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

This is just a shot in the dark, but the maker may be Simon Algranate, 25, Rue Bergère, Paris. He was known to use the initials S.A. with a grenade between, and, to me, that description may be a fit for your mark.

Hopefully someone with better knowledge of French marks will comment.

Trev.
Rodinal

Re: Ring with french(?) hallmarks

Post by Rodinal »

dognose wrote:Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

This is just a shot in the dark, but the maker may be Simon Algranate, 25, Rue Bergère, Paris. He was known to use the initials S.A. with a grenade between, and, to me, that description may be a fit for your mark.

Hopefully someone with better knowledge of French marks will comment.

Trev.
Thank you very much for your answer, sounds really plausible. I tried to google Simon Algranate, and the only thing I found was a record from the french national archive where this name is mentioned. I dont know french at all, but with google translate I figure out that its about selling the watchmaker/jewellerybusiness belonings in the 40's? Not sure are we talking about the same person though..
https://www.siv.archives-nationales.cul ... _IR_056119

Do you know where could I find any pictures of the hallmarks of Simon to compare?

Return to “European Jewelry”