Dating & placing a likely Soviet-era hallmark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
smichaels

Dating & placing a likely Soviet-era hallmark

Post by smichaels »

Hello, I'm trying to figure out the time peroid of a cross pendant based on the following hallmarks. As best as I can make out, it's a rectangle containing (left-to-right) a β, followed by either a kokoshnik mark or a worker-with-hammer mark (it's difficult to tell), followed by an 875.

I think the 875 definitively places it after 1927 (otherwise we'd see "84"), but the lack of a CCCP star places it either before 1958 (if the head is a worker) or after 1994 (if the head is a kokoshnik). There's also what looks like a maker's mark reading "BOBT", which I haven't been able to find any information about online.

I'd appreciate any help on this --- I'm quite new to analyzing silver hallmarks.

If it helps, here are pictures of the full pendant:

Mart
contributor

Re: Dating & placing a likely Soviet-era hallmark

Post by Mart »

Hello! Made in 2013, manufacturer "BT". Верхневолжский region.
smichaels

Re: Dating & placing a likely Soviet-era hallmark

Post by smichaels »

Thanks. Out of curiousity, what clued you in to the year being 2013? I did some further hallmark research since originally posting this, and my impression is that the four-letter maker's mark system started in 2001, with the first letter being 'A' for the first year, 'Б' for 2002, and then 'B' for 2003 --- so I had guessed 2003 myself.

Return to “European Jewelry”