Russian enamel egg - unknown hallmark?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
art_addicted

Russian enamel egg - unknown hallmark?

Post by art_addicted »

Hi,
I'm attaching photos of a small Russian enamel egg: it's a pretty well done apple green enamel egg, with sunburst guilloché enameling in the center, contoured by old cut/rosé small diamonds.
I can clearly see the 960 fineness for silver, then the 585+kokoshnik shovel hallmark for the gold content (I'm assuming the gold bail and the small connecting ring itself).
But in the end there's another hallmark in an arrow form I couldn't work out: is it a workmaster mark or kind of a town mark?
Maybe it's something from the USSR period? I'm asking since I've found something similar hallmarked into some USSR objects .
Could you please let me know?
Many thanks to every kind reply!

art_addicted

Re: Russian enamel egg - unknown hallmark?

Post by art_addicted »

I'm sorry, while refreshing I lost the currect location of the thread.
I'm posting it again on Russian silver, then I'll delete here.
art_addicted

Post by art_addicted »

Bad refreshing: it's already on Russian silver, correctly.

My apologies.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

These small pendant eggs you will can buy in St. Petersburg in the entrance of the Winter Palace (museum). They are meant for tourists and made in huge varieties in different enamel colors. As you assume, most likely from the Soviet era or "New Russia".
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Sorry, a minor amendment i.e "you will find and can buy..."
art_addicted

Post by art_addicted »

Qrt.S wrote:These small pendant eggs you will can buy in St. Petersburg in the entrance of the Winter Palace (museum). They are meant for tourists and made in huge varieties in different enamel colors. As you assume, most likely from the Soviet era or "New Russia".
Hi Qrt.S! First of all, thank you so much for your confirmation of what I had originally speculated. I've never been to Russia so far, and what struck me in reading you is that there are tourist souvenirs of this level as well. I mean: gold is gold, and diamonds are diamonds. I expected the quality of these items to be much cheaper or otherwise not well finished/polished. I must admit I'm not that much into souvenir's actual quality. I had rather thought of a Soviet object made as a "hommage" to the tradition of the imperial egg-pendant.
There is still the mystery of the third hallmark: can you help me? I was also puzzled by the use of the kokoshnik in the gold hallmark, instead of which I would have expected a symbol with the hammer and sickle/star - were the USSR period be confirmed.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

: 9ля stands for 1999.
Letter L (in Cyrillic) after 9 stands for Leningrad assay office.
я is the maker, possibly Jewelry factory.
Eggs with both 960 and 585 standards are frequently seen, very unusual unless the enamel is over 960, which is not an official standard, or just marked to deceive (who will damage the enamel to test gold?). One cannot trust them.
Regards
art_addicted

Post by art_addicted »

AG2012 wrote:: 9ля stands for 1999.
Letter L (in Cyrillic) after 9 stands for Leningrad assay office.
я is the maker, possibly Jewelry factory.
Eggs with both 960 and 585 standards are frequently seen, very unusual unless the enamel is over 960, which is not an official standard, or just marked to deceive (who will damage the enamel to test gold?). One cannot trust them.
Regards
That is really on point, thanks AG2012! I know only little about recent Russian items and, for sure, I wouldn't have been able to locate it in time and space without your help. I'm sure seeing it in my hands would have confirmed my recent guess - even if I thought it was some 20-30 yrs older than it is.
I will check those kind of souvenirs if I'll ever go to Russia..
And think back to you! Thanks again.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

A bit more, ля (LJa) is the (abbreviated) name/punch for ИЧП ПТФ "Артес" г. Санкт Петербург. Unfortunately I don't know the whole name. Hopefully AG2012 knows it. :9 is the year mark for 1999.
A closer look at the marks tell that they are the new Russian marks from 1992->... Moreover, the shovel mark with the kokoshnik and figures 585 assumable indicates 14 karat gold, but as AG2012 stated ??? What the 960 mark tells is unknown for me too.

Sharper close ups of the mark could tell some more. The sickle and star punch was used in USSR 1959-1991(2)

(@AG2012 "Leningrad" was changed back to St.Petersburg in 1992!)
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Mark "960" says that the egg is made of silver (960 standard), and only the ring and pommel are made of gold. Under guilloche enamel only silver.
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

And this is not a souvenir, but an ordinary precious item from a jewelry store.
Easter egg pendant. A la Faberge.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@Dad
I have seen those dozens of those pendants i St Peterburg, in the Winter Palce.. Go and take a look Dad, You are in the town!
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

960 silver standard ???....never seen or heard!
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Dear, Qrt.S.
Firstly,
“…8. In the Russian Federation for jewelry and other household
products made of precious metals, the following tests are established:
……..
silver 999 (nine hundred ninety ninth)
silver 960 (nine hundred sixtieth)
silver 925 (nine hundred twenty fifth)
silver 875 (eight hundred seventy fifth)
silver 830 (eight hundred thirtieth)
silver 800 (eight hundredth) ….”
(from Government of the russian federation resolution (dated June 18, 1999 N 643) «On the procedure for testing and branding products from precious metals»)

Secondly,
There are hundreds of jewelry stores in St. Petersburg. If you know only one (in the Winter Palace), then it is unfortunate.
And Thirdly,
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. ..." )))
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

The silver fineness 960 is not suitable for manufacturing objects. It is too soft and you know that very well! In addition, it is not an standard jewelry fineness anywhere..Nothing more to discuss!
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

The 960 silver sample was introduced in 1956. Usually these are filigree products or with enamel.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Qrt.S wrote:The silver fineness 960 is not suitable for manufacturing objects. It is too soft and you know that very well! In addition, it is not an standard jewelry fineness anywhere..Nothing more to discuss!

In France they used to have a 1st standard of silver 950/000

Peter.

Source; World Hallmarks Volume I Europe 19th to 21st Centuries William B. Whetstone, Danusia V. Niklewicz, Lindy L. Matula
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Please reread what I wrote.
A wax seal is something else! If you punch a mark with an ordinary punch on an object made in 960 silver it most likely will break or is at least damaged badly! Moreover, it will not keep its shape.
Kindly tell me another country than USSR that has used 960 fineness ON SILVER!
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Qrt.S, stop putting on a show.
You know "Russian silver" well, don't you? I explained to you why they put two testing hallmarks. I explained to you why silver is used.
If you do not understand the hallmarking procedure, then check the Rules for hallmarking things made from several precious metals. And then you will understand why the main stamp is “shovel 585”, and the additional one is “960”.
And the egg is not punched because there is nowhere to punch it. Enamel everywhere. And, most likely, the egg is empty inside, so that silver of any fineness will crumble after punching.
What silver to choose for work is decided by the master himself. It is important that the silver was not lower than the permitted finenes.
And, in the end, "I'm in the town." And I am not teaching you how to bake Karjalanpiirakka. ))
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Yes, I know something regarding Russian silver but unfortunately far from all, nobody knows it! Unfortunately there are some writers here that think they know all about Russian silver and try to put other attendants down! Cooperating instead of arguing would be a much better alternative for the readers of this site.

Return to “European Jewelry”