Soviet era silver ring - what does it all mean?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Lencalot

Soviet era silver ring - what does it all mean?

Post by Lencalot »

I bought this ring at a flee market, it was very grimy and the lady said it was silver and the stone was amber ... Clearly it wasn't amber but I liked the fact that it was nicely worked and the design spoke to me. I took it home and started cleaning it. Then I realised that the "second" ring, the one with waffle like pattern probably had been goldplated at one time but the remnants soon disappeared when i kept on cleaning it. After that I went for the hallmarks. It took a lot of time and effort to bring them to the light but when they did I screamed with joy because there was a star with a hammer and sickle in it. Living in Sweden we don't usually see old soviet jewellery so that was a nice surprise. Then I found the other marking, the one that is .9 followed by a diamond symbol and then I started sweating. Could it even be possible that this was an actual diamond?! After some frantic googling I ended up here and have now spent hours trying to figure out what all this means. It does not seem very likely that someone have put a 0.9 carat diamond on a sterling silver ring but there's always a remote chance I guess ... The things I have managed to understand is that it is a 925 sterling silver ring made during the Soviet era. The stamp with the 925 and the woman silouette has a symbol to the left that could mean it is made in Moscow. The stamp to the right of the woman may or may not picture a lion. That's it. I have tried to see if there a cyrillic letters or greek ones, I have tried google images and read long list but I cannot understand where and when and what this ring is telling me. Therefore I am now reaching out to you guys who seems to have an almost infinte amount of knowledge on all things silver. What a joy it has been to learn this much by reading everyones comments. Thank you. I'm including a link to flickr since I was not able to upload pictures here. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask them. I can take better pictures if needed. Thank you again.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/195047988@N03/v5PpVe
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Soviet era silver ring - what does it all mean?

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please embed your images.

https://postimages.org (choose 'Share', then copy the 'Hotlink for forums' code) is recommended. Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Trev.
Lencalot

Post by Lencalot »

Thank you!

Here we go, please bare with me:

I hope this works!

dognose wrote:Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please embed your images.

https://postimages.org (choose 'Share', then copy the 'Hotlink for forums' code) is recommended. Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Trev.
Lencalot

Post by Lencalot »

Hello again,

The second picture unfortunately was upside down. The markings are as far as I can see .9 followed by a diamondlike shape.
Lencalot

Post by Lencalot »

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Your ring has complex history: from left to right, starting from top.
Poland mark with letter G for Gdansk assay office.
Estonia lion mark.
Maker`s mark is Leningrad Jewelry Factory, pictorial mark (arrow 1).
Dot 9 in front of pictorial mark is date code for 1989 (arrow 2).
It does not mean official imports; people can ask assay offices to apply marks if they want their jewelry to enter the market, or simply to make sure what they have.
Regards
Lencalot

Post by Lencalot »

Wow!! I am truly amazed by your knowledge! This ring has really been around the block and back! Thank you so much!
So it was manufactured in Leningrad - how cool is that?

And the stone, if that diamond mark was the atelier/studio in Leningrad it has nothing to do with the stone/diamond/piece of glass?

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
Your ring has complex history: from left to right, starting from top.
Poland mark with letter G for Gdansk assay office.
Estonia lion mark.
Maker`s mark is Leningrad Jewelry Factory, pictorial mark (arrow 1).
Dot 9 in front of pictorial mark is date code for 1989 (arrow 2).
It does not mean official imports; people can ask assay offices to apply marks if they want their jewelry to enter the market, or simply to make sure what they have.
Regards
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Factory logo has nothing to do with the stone. Jewelers have simple battery operated pen like devices to touch the stone with the tip and tell you exactly the natural properties of the stone.
silverstar777

Post by silverstar777 »

i think this are two different rings and than splited together. i have soviet ring like this for example

Return to “European Jewelry”