Mixed Silver Marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Mixed Silver Marks

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello. I saved the below image from an auction catalogue. It shows the marks on a pocket watch case and their diversity intrigued me.

I did not recognise the name "Seeland" but I did know the grouse mark that was a Switzerland silver guarantee mark for 800 parts silver. But why was there also a "crown&cresent" mark that I associate with German silver? Could it act as an import mark in some way? Also, is that another "hallmark" of some kind just under the 0.800 mark. Sorry the image is not great, but any suggestions?
I did find information about "Seeland" and it was perhaps surprising that there is no reference of them on the Forum so I am giving a summery here, even though I know this is not the "Jewellery & Watch" section. Firstly the "anchor" mark featuring the "M" is a trademark of "Seeland" and this was a firm set up by an American, "Frederick Seeland" who had formally been in management with both the "Waltham Watch Co" and the "International Watch Co". Around the late 1870's he went in with the Swiss company "Les Fils de R. Picard" and the SEELAND WATCH CO came to being. It was registered SEELAND WATCH Co. in 1896, became JUDITH & Co. in 1902 and in 1913 went back to SEELAND WATCH Co.

Fishless
AG2012
contributor

Re: Mixed Silver Marks

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
It was common to see Swiss watch cases with several official marks; one can find German, Swiss, French and even Russian 84 standard on the same watch case.
In a word, nothing unusual.
regards
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Thank you AG2012 and Oel for your responses. That "watchstrap" reference was one of several I looked at. They did not all say exactly the same thing so I just made that loose summary. Regarding the different international standard marks, did they make the own punches or were the cases "officially" tested in the different countries?

Fishless
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
I think all marks were struck in one place at the time, i.e. by the maker, to indicate fineness in various countries of supposed export.
It would be technically impossible to send watch cases from Switzerland to Germany and then to Russia to have them marked accordingly.
British marks were probably the exception; marked in UK offices after import.
Regards
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Thank AG2012 for the additional reply.

Fishless
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

That unknown one...Austria-Hungary dogmark (.800)?

Return to “European Jewelry”