Trying to identify a (maybe) Soviet ring

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Jaybokay

Trying to identify a (maybe) Soviet ring

Post by Jaybokay »

Howdy all! Just hoping for an answer to this question that has plagued my grandma and I for a while. We have this lovely sterling silver ring, but we don't know any other information about it. I was hoping someone would be able to help me with it, but seeing that the hallmarks are on the outside of the ring vs the inside, I thought there was a reasonable chance it came from the USSR. Anyway, here it is and thanks in advance.

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Trying to identify a (maybe) Soviet ring

Post by Qrt.S »

Please show some close-ups of the marks only. It looks Soviet made but.....?
Jaybokay

Post by Jaybokay »

Qrt.S wrote:Please show some close-ups of the marks only. It looks Soviet made but.....?
Thanks very much for the comment. As those hallmarks were proper small, even getting those half-way decent photos you saw earlier was a challenge. I unfortunately can't provide you with a clear photo of just the hallmarks, but I can describe them to you. One of them appears to be blank. The other one has the number four in it, followed by an emblem that looks like a shield with a star inside it with rays coming out of it, followed by the 925 sterling silver mark.

Less than ideal result, I know, but I apologize for the inconvenience.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
You are supposed to see something like this: maker’s mark on the left, and Soviet star guarantee mark used after 1958.
From left to right: Letter in Cyrillic alphabet indicating assay office (cannot be number 4). Then star with the hammer and sickle within it, then 925.
Regards

Jaybokay

Post by Jaybokay »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
You are supposed to see something like this: maker’s mark on the left, and Soviet star guarantee mark used after 1958.
From left to right: Letter in Cyrillic alphabet indicating assay office (cannot be number 4). Then star with the hammer and sickle within it, then 925.
Regards

Thanks a bunch for this latest information. I pulled out my loupe and did some digging. The hallmark that I thought was blank actually does contain some writing on it. It was just filled with years of grime. It reads either "7XPY" or "7XГY" What I thought was the number four was actually the Cyrillic character "Д". The crest in the center also appears to be that of Ukraine from what little detail I can make out on it. I think its reasonable to say it was made after the Soviet collapse.

Return to “European Jewelry”