Unknown Hallmark: French Poesy Ring

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
MO Davidson

Unknown Hallmark: French Poesy Ring

Post by MO Davidson »

I got this ring a few years ago, and can't remember who had it before me or for how long. It is a traditional men's (French) poesy ring. Between two lines on the outer rim reads "A MA VIE DE COER ENTIER." Inside is a 925 and what I thought could be a dating code, but it didn't seem to match anything. It looks like it could be FR or even ER, and there's a small (possibly trefoil? boomerang? upside down crown?) stamp underneath. Maybe it is just a blemish? I couldn't find anything like it that wasn't larger and more detailed. Also, in the top image, you can see a line running down the inside; is this were the strip of metal was sealed into a ring, or is it maybe evidence of resizing?
I'm assuming it's a recent replica, but still I would like to know if this can be dated and what the hallmark below the letters is, if anything. Thank you!

P.S. Admins and contributors, I had no idea such an amazing encyclopedia existed, and I'm having such a blast on here! Hopefully I can find a course in college on this subject. Keep up the good work!

Return to “European Jewelry”