Russian Art Deco Silver Locket

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
MO Davidson

Russian Art Deco Silver Locket

Post by MO Davidson »

My grandmother took a box of her father's (Jewish Jewelry maker) old or broken pieces to a jeweler in town, and he did not want this locket, even though he took plenty of other silver and gold items. I loved it and took it home in its extremely tarnished state and cleaned every piece, which revealed the hallmarks on two of the chain links. Only this website has given me anything close to similar with the Second Kokoshnik Marks. I think I see a female bust to the left of 84 stamped on one link, with the maker's mark stamped down further. On the other link, the same maker's mark is there, but the Kokoshnik Mark has only the bust. I'm having trouble identifying the regional letter to the left of the bust (which can only really be seen on the 84-less link), and I'm having even more trouble IDing what I'm assuming is the maker's mark, as I haven't found anything similar in the latin or Cyrillic section. It looks to be an AGR (or the cyrillic АГР), but I have truly no idea if I'm even on the right track. I think this is so cool, and I'm very curious to see where this locket might have come from! Any help would be much appreciated (sorry for the photo quality!).

https://imgur.com/a/Yw6JqPn
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Russian Art Deco Silver Locket

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please embed your images.

Trev.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The only AGR АГР in Postnikova Loseva book was unknown maker in Zhytomyr (mark No. 432) ,but he worked mid 19th century,meaning too early for second kokoshnik mark. The chain is Imperial Russian,but the locket must also bear Russian marks on both halves. If not,then it was added to the chan.
All being said,look for more marks on the locket and embed them.
Regards

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

By the way,it is not art deco but earlier art nouveau (1900 or so).
MO Davidson

Post by MO Davidson »

Thank you so much! I'm happy to know that it's actually Art Nouveau! I'm sorry the earlier images were not embedded, but for the life of me I can't get it to work unless it is a link; it just keeps saying "Image" and nothing shows up (presumably like it will below). Any advice not already included in the tutorial pages would be welcome, and while this is posted I will try to get it to work using the preview button. Do you have any idea what the letters in the maker's mark were, if my guess doesn't make sense?

I looked on all three leaves of the locket and did not see any markings that weren't microscopic scratches. On the ring that was soldered to the top of the middle locket leaf, however, there is something that looks like it could have been stamped on. Do you think it's worth it to try to take a better picture, or go somewhere where they have a really good microscope?

Thanks again for your help!

The three lines below here are all attempts for the same image.

https://imgur.com/NAD8DOm
MO Davidson

Post by MO Davidson »

I GOT IT!! Thank you for your patience!!

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Unfortunately, I cannot decipher it, but it looks like a mark. There are examples with marks only to the ring soldered to the locket, although most often there are marks on both halves if there is enough room to punch them.
Regards
MO Davidson

Post by MO Davidson »

Thank you!

Return to “European Jewelry”