Turkish hallmark on pair of earrings

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AllSeasons

Turkish hallmark on pair of earrings

Post by AllSeasons »

I recently purchased a pair of sterling silver earrings. On the back of each is marked "Turkey," "B" inside a circle, and then "925". I've attached the images below. These look pretty old, but I have no idea on provenance, or whether these are really from Turkey, though they do kind of look Turkish.

My wife and I really like the intricate designs. It looks to be handmade by a skillful silversmith. Any thoughts on the hallmark, age, and provenance? Thanks in advance?

AG2012
contributor

Re: Turkish hallmark on pair of earrings

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Filigree work; twisted silver wire bent to various patterns,arranged on fire resistant surface, embelished with small granules, rhombes and other small particles of silver, then sprayed with silver solder mixed with flux, then fired with jeweler torch until solder melts and fixes everything. Then pickled in acid for bright shining silver, or oxydized for better contrast. Filigree is done worldwide, yours is obviously from Turkey, modern production, let`s say 20th century.
B in circle is the maker, but they are not documented.
Regards
AllSeasons

Re: Turkish hallmark on pair of earrings

Post by AllSeasons »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
Filigree work; twisted silver wire bent to various patterns,arranged on fire resistant surface, embelished with small granules, rhombes and other small particles of silver, then sprayed with silver solder mixed with flux, then fired with jeweler torch until solder melts and fixes everything. Then pickled in acid for bright shining silver, or oxydized for better contrast. Filigree is done worldwide, yours is obviously from Turkey, modern production, let`s say 20th century.
B in circle is the maker, but they are not documented.
Regards
Thank you. Would you say it's 50 years old or 100 years old, or somewhere in between?

Return to “European Jewelry”