Hallmark Identification

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Curious George

Hallmark Identification

Post by Curious George »

Hi,

I'm a relative newbie to collecting silver. I usually stick to vintage fountain pens but have picked up some nice antique silver pencils along the way, mostly Sampson Mordan. But I've diversified and have now got chatelaine items, lighters etc and have recently acquired a really nice silver brooch. At least I hope it's silver. It was sold to me as Swedish but I'm not too sure it is. I have pictures but don't know how to load them, can someone help?
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Hallmark Identification

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

https://postimages.org (choose 'Share', then copy the 'Hotlink for forums' code) is recommended. Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Ensure your images are embedded. Do not post links. Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

For more information see:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 82#p103282

Give some time to creating your posts and we'll give some time to researching and answering them.

Trev.
Curious George

Post by Curious George »

Curious George wrote:Hi,

I'm a relative newbie to collecting silver. I usually stick to vintage fountain pens but have picked up some nice antique silver pencils along the way, mostly Sampson Mordan. But I've diversified and have now got chatelaine items, lighters etc and have recently acquired a really nice silver brooch. At least I hope it's silver. It was sold to me as Swedish but I'm not too sure it is. I have pictures but don't know how to load them, can someone help?
Thank you, images now added (hopefully!)
(admin photo edit)

Curious George

Post by Curious George »

Thank you for helping with the enlarged image. The hallmarks show 925 for sterling, what looks like X3, possibly a Finnish or Swedish date mark(?), and one I cannot decipher. Is it a town mark, assayers mark, makers mark?

Please help.

Wayne
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

A larger photo of marks would be needed.
Judging by the subject, I would favor Greece.
Best
Amena
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Amena is right, it is Grece or Cyprus. The first mark (maker) is upside down; letters are Greek Sigma and Chi ΣΧ (SH).
Besides, it depicts Ionic capital.

Regards
Curious George

Post by Curious George »

Thank you both, at least I know where to focus my research now, a lot further south and east!
Curious George

Post by Curious George »

So it's definitely Cypriot, the unknown hallmark is the Cyprus Assay Office mark for silver along with 925 and the makers mark which is not X3 but Sigma Chi. Just can't find who the maker is but I know they are registered and their number is 254.

On with the search.

Return to “European Jewelry”