Authentic or fake?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Alex_Victor

Re: Authentic or fake?

Post by Alex_Victor »

[quote="Alex_Victor"]Hello,
I’m new member here and I need your support.
I just received nice piece of silver.
Is it an authentic one?
Thanks for your help;-)

https://postimg.cc/75NpYbjc
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Alex Victor, welcome to the forum. Please embedded your images.
For information how to attach and embedded images see link;
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42199

Peter
Juke*
contributor

Post by Juke* »

Hi!

Sorry not an authentic ring from the time of imperial Russia.

Regards,
Juke
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The image embedded.
Marks (punches) are rather well done, but (as Juke* said) it`s not Imperial Russia by Finnish silversmith August Frederik Hollming as claimed by several sellers from Lithuania (and Estonia etc).
Antique Russian GUILLOCHE ENAMEL Silver 88 ring A* H FABERGE workmaster.
Rings are offered at fairly reasonable price, nicely enameled, but unfortunately not authentic.
Take care, some fakes originating from Eastern Europe are becoming more dangerous with better (guilloche) enamel than obvious cloisonné fakes from Far East.
Regaards

Alex_Victor

Post by Alex_Victor »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
The image embedded.
Marks (punches) are rather well done, but (as Juke* said) it`s not Imperial Russia by Finnish silversmith August Frederik Hollming as claimed by several sellers from Lithuania (and Estonia etc).
Antique Russian GUILLOCHE ENAMEL Silver 88 ring A* H FABERGE workmaster.
Rings are offered at fairly reasonable price, nicely enameled, but unfortunately not authentic.
Take care, some fakes originating from Eastern Europe are becoming more dangerous with better (guilloche) enamel than obvious cloisonné fakes from Far East.
Regaards

Hello,
Thanks for your information.
Two important questions:
Are you sure ( I have a possibility to send it back)?
How sould I demonstate that?
BR
Alex
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

If it is possible, return this fake and claim refunding.
Usually we do not explain why a fake is a fake, but I make an exception this time in order to warn unknowing buyers. The hallmark is rather good, but its locations shows that the faker has no knowledge of where the marks should be punched.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Why are the marks punched outside and not inside the ring ?

Peter.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@oel
Because the stupid faker as usual hasn't bother to investigate where the mark should be punched and not either how Hollming's maker's mark exactly looks like. In addition the font in both the hallmark and maker's mark is incorrect.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

The faker is not stupid, the maker or creator put the marks purposely at the outside of the ring, to be noticed and to be shown. Decorative markings? Yes it certainly will attract the bargain hunters.

Peter.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Well, if you see it that way, the bargain hunter has no knowledge of what he is buying. A hunter who knows something about silver immediately sees that a ring with such marks screams FAKE, FAKE!!! Irrespective how well it is made. In addition, it is a well known fact that fakers very often punch the marks on wrong places because of lack of knowledge.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Claim refunding and they will correct mistakes and the fakes will become more dangerous.
Was it not a red flag to see several Faberge subcontractor`s items offered by the same seller, at the same time and at the same price ?
But it remains fighting windmills unless people stop believing in fairy tales and miracles (Faberge found in garage sales ).
Regards
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Qrt.S wrote:Well, if you see it that way, the bargain hunter has no knowledge of what he is buying. A hunter who knows something about silver immediately sees that a ring with such marks screams FAKE, FAKE!!! Irrespective how well it is made. In addition, it is a well known fact that fakers very often punch the marks on wrong places because of lack of knowledge.
Not all bargain hunters have no knowledge of what they buying. Some have (limited )knowledge and have doubts but buy if they think the price too good to pass up an opportunity. Some sellers have no knowledge about what they are selling. Hunters as you call them make mistakes too. It is not a well known fact that faker's have a lack of knowledge. On the contrary user's of pseudo marks purposely place those mark at odd places of the silver item, thus it becomes part of the decoration. Legally perhaps not forbidden. And in this case the ring get's an air of Russian Imperial silver. It are the sellers who deceive (ignorant or opportunist) buyers if they claim the ring to be made by Faberge or one of his master silversmiths. It turns out to be a nice conversation piece.

Peter.
Alex_Victor

Post by Alex_Victor »

Hello Guys,
Thanks for your support. I just received my money back.
BTW, could you tell me where to learn about it?
Regards !

(admin edit) see: Posting Requirements
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Glad to hear the news (i.e. refund).
In regard of learning; it takes time, depending on what silver you are interested in. This website offers a lot in marks section, forums and discussions are also valuable. After that, start buying books of particular field.
Lesson one:
1.Do not buy online unless you are sure and the item is well displayed,and do not trust sellers.
2.Do not believe in miracles (i.e. Faberge or 17th century Augsburg in garage sale or flea market find thanks to an ignorant seller).

Regards
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

I agree with all the comments ,sometimes buying fakes is part of the learning process,it is amazing what has been going on for many years re fakes in every area (art,sculpture,silver ,etc,etc) Some time even experts cannot agree what is original and what is fake.
It is very difficult,you have to get knowledge ,look at real things in galleries ,museums etc,try and get an understanding of what fine quality looks like.

The bargains are very hard to find, You will usually have to pay to by quality items.

Regards Guido.

Return to “European Jewelry”