Makers mark help on old brooch

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Curiouskev

Makers mark help on old brooch

Post by Curiouskev »

Could anyone help with the markings on this brooch. I would like to know where and when it was made. Additionally what is it made of?
I have searched the forum and cannot identify JWD or either mark either side of the Sterling mark. Many thanks in advance.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/3702/x3OX0U.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/1693/7rS99N.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/1663/H5S1T9.jpg
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Makers mark help on old brooch

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please embed your images.

Trev.
Curiouskev

Post by Curiouskev »

Could anyone help with the markings on this brooch. I would like to know where and when it was made. Additionally what is it made of?
I have searched the forum and cannot identify JWD or either mark either side of the Sterling mark. Many thanks in advance.

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

You ask what is it made of and then you identify the sterling (lion passant) mark - that gives the answer. Note that the enamelled part may not be silver as it is attached to the hallmarked backing piece, but made separately. The other 2 marks are the anchor mark for the Birmingham Assay Office and the date letter E for 1979. The maker (or sponsor) JWD is not known to me.

Phil
Curiouskev

Post by Curiouskev »

Thank you for your reply. I was hesitant to identify as silver as it looks plated. It certainly looks older than 1979? the enameling appears to be at least 100 years old.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Your images cropped and embedded.
It is Worshipful Company of Merchant Taylors, brooch / pendant made of sterling silver.
Looks like Birmingham anchor city mark and date letter e for 1979.
Cannot identify the maker, though.
Regards

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Concur with Phil and AG2012, Birmingham 1979.

Trev.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

It is common practice in jewelry and badges to make enameled pieces (parts) separately and then attach them with rivets.
Additional hard soldering cannot be done because extreme heat needed for soldering would destroy the enamel.
Meaning, every part of this brooch was made in the same year, i.e. 1979; there is nothing to support otherwise.
Regards
user701
contributor

Post by user701 »

That is the first time ever I have seen rivets like that attaching the enamel sections on jewellery brooches, sweetheart brooches and military badges.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

This badge is very complex; like military orders and breast stars (made of several parts cast or die stamped in high relief). High-end jewelry is sometimes made of several parts, too. If there is enamel on those parts to be attached when the whole badge is assembled hard soldering is impossible because high temperature destroys the enamel. Therefore, different parts can be fixed with prongs or rivets (as seen e.g. this rare Monaco Order of Saint Charles made of silver, gold and enamel assembled with both prongs and rivets - my arrows).Even maker`s plaque is attached with prongs (Halley, Montpensier of Paris France).There is no alternative unless one wants those parts glued or soft soldered with tin-lead which certainly makes no sense when dealing with precious metals.
In conclusion: the badge shown here is extremely well made, it is genuine and intact.

Regards

Return to “European Jewelry”