Antique silver gold rose cut diamond and emerald necklace

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
NiPiMa

Antique silver gold rose cut diamond and emerald necklace

Post by NiPiMa »

Hi everyone!

I have a problem with id this marks. Do you have any idea what country could it be and the date of origin?
One looks like boat with big E letter above...
It's antique and original necklace that is what I know. What's more I think it's XIXth century, don't you think?

legrandmogol
contributor

Re: Antique silver gold rose cut diamond and emerald necklace

Post by legrandmogol »

Hi, your piece is definitely made in an old-style but I believe it is actually fairly modern and comes from Cyprus. It's hard to tell exactly as the photo quality is not great about the Cyprus part but I am much more certain about the piece not being old.
NiPiMa

Post by NiPiMa »

Thank you for your opinion. The fact that it is antique one is irrefutable to me, may photos are low quality but I'm sure about it. The problem is I've never seen these hallmarks.The techniuqe which was used is known to me and it's fully handmade. If you know examples as you said modern from Cyprus be so kind and give some links. I'd like to check similarities and differences between them
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
In spite of its antique look it is fairly modern production, most likely from Middle East; compare with this one from United Arab Emirates.
Of course it`s hand made, they are excellent jewelers. Sailing ship of Cyprus mark cannot be excluded, though, because of flourishing gold trade.
It would be interesting to see better images of marks.
Regards
NiPiMa

Post by NiPiMa »

There are some pictures before cleaning.
In the morning I'll have better light to take hallmark pictures.
The second hallmark looks like Austrian hoopoe but doesn't match well.
Actually the "boat" hallmark is simillar to Cyprus hallmarks but it has no sail and has E letter above.

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The image of the back side of the necklace shows what looks like gilding and patina on silver.
If so, it can be older than we thought.
Waiting for marks.
Regards
NiPiMa

Post by NiPiMa »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
The image of the back side of the necklace shows what looks like gilding and patina on silver.
If so, it can be older than we thought.
Waiting for marks.
Regards

I cannot take better pictures like these. I need to buy special camera. The back side is made of solid gold. The front is silver. The necklace is not gilding. Please see fasteners, it really looks like antique, and as you said, before cleaning it had beautiful patina. Yes, antique gold jewellery have patina, cause they have silver addition. The necklace is quite strange ;) I have knowlage of antique jewellery, diamonds and so on, but this one is a mystery, and hallmarks...hoopoe form Austia-Hungary?? I think it doesn't match...what do you think?
Thanks for all help! :)

Return to “European Jewelry”