Unknown European Hallmark on Pendant? AO, M (line through), 925 Control Mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
flexaplex

Unknown European Hallmark on Pendant? AO, M (line through), 925 Control Mark

Post by flexaplex »

Any help with this hallmark would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

flexaplex

Re: Unknown European Hallmark on Pendant? AO, M (line through), 925 Control Mark

Post by flexaplex »

Forgot the back:

flexaplex

Re: Unknown European Hallmark on Pendant? AO, M (line through), 925 Control Mark

Post by flexaplex »

It's obviously a brooch not a pendant haha.

Is there no edit button here?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

The marks shown are fairly recent Irish import marks.

Trev.
flexaplex

Post by flexaplex »

Oh I see. Dublin import mark. Thank you.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The scale with 925 is Common Control Mark since 1972 (Ireland was a signatory).
The maker`s mark is obviously capital Alfa and cursive Delta of Greek alphabet.Cyprus was a signatory of international convention, Greece was not,so my guess it must have been made in Cyprus,being the only country beside Greece where Hellenic alphabet is used.
Regards
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

On the other hand,the same letter d is seen in Gaelic script,so,it could be sponsor`s mark of Irish importer.
Regards
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

I could be wrong as the picture is a bit blurry but to the extreme right of the sponsor mark is a Dutch small works sword mark indicating .833 minimum fineness and at the tip of the sword a key mark indicating the item was exported.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Trinity Knot.

I doubt it to be a Dutch sword mark and export key used 1853-1953. The maker's mark to me appears to read AÒ

Peter.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

I would go with the "maker's" mark being the mark of the Irish importer / sponsor and that, as AG2012 suggests, it is A with a Gaelic "d".

Phil
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

I am probably absolutely wrong but until I see a clearer picture of the mark I think maybe a sword, I wouldn't outright dismiss it. In my line of work, I come across a lot of small silver jewelry articles and I have seen enough of them to know that there was a time when the Netherlands produced a lot of small jewelry for export, particularly silver charms. And they weren't all windmills and clogs. They would often be German or English themed tourist items.

Return to “European Jewelry”