Silver chain 19th (?) from Europe.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
perisae1

Silver chain 19th (?) from Europe.

Post by perisae1 »

Hello again.
It would be great, if anyone has more information about this chain.
I tried for good images, I believe these are the best I can extract with this phone I have.
It has 2 different hallmarks (in one cleaner, I can see the letters RL). I found it on eBay, from a German seller. (The small clip/clasp is newer)
Thank you in advance.
AG2012
contributor

Re: Silver chain 19th (?) from Europe.

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Most likely Austria - Hungary 1867 - 1922.
To compare take a look here:
https://www.925-1000.com/Faustria_02.html

Regards
perisae1

Post by perisae1 »

Thank you, I believe you are right. So, maybe RL is the mark of the city (I didn't find any info in the site about this).
(If someone collects hallmark for a database, I allow to use these images for any purpose)
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

There is something else I noticed on Austria-Hungary chains of the same period, both on gold and silver.
Several links were marked, not randomly,but I could not figure out the system behind it.Must be something like French system of multiple marks on chains and clasps,depending on length,i.e.weight of the item supplied to the assay office.
The purpose of multiple marks was to prevent tax evasion.E.g.let`s suppose one makes a chain with 30 links and 60 grams,pays duty and returns to the workshop,adds 30 more links,the chain is now 120 grams, and duty has already been paid on much lighter chain.Well, he cannot do that because links added later are not marked !
As I said,noticed on Austria -Hungary chains but could not find any reference to it.
Regards

Return to “European Jewelry”