Cuff bracelet w/ German Marks?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Murphy

Cuff bracelet w/ German Marks?

Post by Murphy »

This cuff bracelet was found in the NC mountains. The silver appears to be gone, but it has marks on it that look like Gebruder Deyhle from Schwabisch Gmund. Perhaps it never was silver. It does appear to have a crescent, a crown, the numbers 8, 35, and a rearing lion or horse. Except for the rearing horse or lion the marks look doubled. Perhaps the first mark was incomplete, so a second stamping was necessary. I have no knowledge of silver, silver marks, or silver makers. I really want to know the history of this bracelet; its timeframe, maker, material, style, etc. I love it, and if the material permits, I may have it re-silvered. Maybe it never was silver-I have no idea. I suppose the marks on it could indicate what material it is made of. Any information would be appreciated. Keep in mind my lack of knowledge and my desire to understand.
http://sv1.letmehost.com/sv1/20/makersmark_001.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://sv1.letmehost.com/sv1/20/cuff16.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(images too large - link only!)
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, this looks indeed like the silver mark of Deyhle and I also agree with Your conclusion about the twice-struck mark. The style is around 1930/1940. Are You sure it is a bracelet ? How big is this ? My first impression was: it is a napkin ring. I do not think that Deyhle made jewellery of this kind, but they surely made napkin rings. Best wishes. Bahner
Murphy

Measurements for bracelet/napkin ring with additional photo

Post by Murphy »

Bahner,

Thank you for your reply!

The measurements are: 1.75 inches wide and 7.75 around (including the back opening). If it is a napkin ring, which does makes more sense, is it a bit large? It fits my wrist perfectly-not too loose and not too tight. My wrist is slightly over 6 inches round. Perhaps I'll be the first to turn a napkin ring into a bracelet.

In order to show the back opening, I listed another photo. Any additional comments would be greatly appreciated.
http://sv1.letmehost.com/sv1/20/cuffback.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The silver appears to be gone, but it has marks on it that look like Gebruder Deyhle from Schwabisch Gmund. Perhaps it never was silver.
Hi Murphy,
The silver isn't gone, .835 is 83.5% pure silver - through and through. It is just a little tarnished and a bit of polishing should remove the dark spots and make it shine nicely.
Regards, Tom
Murphy

I'll try polishing it

Post by Murphy »

Tom,

Thank you for your advice. I'll polish it. Since this item was found outside in the woods, and since it is so gray and dull, I assumed the silver had deteriorated. How it ended up in the woods of North Carolina's mountains is perplexing to me. An aquaintance of mine found it there while rock climbing. I am enjoying researching this item. It appeals to my interest in history. However, the more I learn the more I want to know. Additional comments appreciated. Thanks again!
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, looks indeed like a bracelet. Which means that Deyhle also made jewellery like that. Must be the first piece of Deyhle jewellery to come to my eyes. Thanks ! Best wishes, Bahner

Return to “European Jewelry”