bobnickles

Watch fob

Post by bobnickles »

Is it a watch fob?Can you I. D. marks?

Thanks for any help.

ImageImage
LeSingeInfini

Post by LeSingeInfini »

Hello, I don't know who the maker is but here's a few things that may help you narrow a search, heh, I just spent about an hour looking.

First ,I THINK you have a medal there, not a fob.

Second, the crown and plume on top of the knights head reminds me of the crest of the Prince of Wales, although it should include the words Ich Dien (I Serve)

Third, part of the reason I belive you have a medal is that the XX is used on medals to denote 20 years of service.
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

Hmm, the marking 800 would indicate a European origin to the piece. I think both Italy and Germany use / did use the 800 (numerical) mark.

Waylander
bobnickles

Post by bobnickles »

Thanks you are right about the prince of Wales Feathers or Plum I thank. It gave me a place to start looking. I had been looking for the markes on the internet for some time in my spare time and had seen the referances to the 800 but nothing on the others. Do you thank the mark could be a diamond instead of two 'x"s.
The center band of color had thread wound in some metalic wire; alot has worn off.
gemsdiver

Post by gemsdiver »

Just thought I would bump this thread, as I have a silver enameled piece with the same "XX" mark on it.

Andy
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, this is a German 'Bierzipfel'. It was used by students to show which 'Verbindung' (student's association) one was member of. The engraving is the symbol for that particular Verbindung. There were dozens and I cannot identify it. The motto of this particular association must habe been 'Ich dien', so someone with more knowledge should be able to identify it. Maker's mark is the one in the middle. I will take a look, maybe I can identify it. The left mark is not an XX, but a W and an M standing on top of each other. Its the retailer's mark of Wilhelm Müller from Berlin. Best wishes, Bahner
gemsdiver

Post by gemsdiver »

Thanks for the info on the "XX" Bahner.

I agree with the Bierzipfel aswell. They were used to identify the students beer glass, and was hung onto the glass when the student went to the mens room.
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, checked the books, the maker is not listed. Sorry. Best wishes, Bahner
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello - but I found this: the engraving seems to be the sign ('Zirkel') of the student's association 'Alemannia' from Hannover. Best wishes, Bahner

Return to “European Jewelry”