Silver locket

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Adzia

Silver locket

Post by Adzia »

Hello. I bought this silver locket two years ago on flea market in Wroclaw, Poland. It has two hallmarks "800" and "3" or "E". I've checked them on this Encyclopedia and found that they are simillar to those used in Poland, but I still have no idea about the age. I'm also interested where it was made. Inside the locket, behind the piece of organic glass (which became yellow through the ages) I found a wisp of hair and numbers "VIII", "IIII", "XV" scraped by someone with some sharp tool.
Neruda

Post by Neruda »

"VIII", "IIII", "XV" may be a date related to the hair? 8th, April 1915, or August 4th, 1915 perhaps? The hair may be a lover's token or possibly a memento mori.
Adzia

Post by Adzia »

Thanks Neruda. Now I can't take another photo of my locket so I'll describe it. "IIII" is scraped inside, behind the glass and hair, "VIII" opposite "IIII" on the other part of the locket, and "XV" directly on the glass. I'd thought like you until I found those lockets on some e-auctions. It seems that it is some kind of maker's mark.
Matulda
contributor

Post by Matulda »

I have a locket myself with Roman numbers in it.
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1701" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have discussed this with some friends in another forum, and the only logical explanation we've found is that it's the maker who has put these marks to remember which part belongs to which. One person had the same kind of marks on a snuff box and lid. It's a bit more complicated with the ones that have different marks, but it could be explained in a number of ways. The odd part might have fitted better than the one originally intended, or perhaps they just didn't find the right part when they were assembled.

It's just a theory of ours, but I think it's rather plausible.
Adzia

Post by Adzia »

Hi Matulda, I came to the same solution as you did. I think it's the only logical explanation ;). But I still have no answer to the most important question. Maybe you know the estimate age of my locket?

Return to “European Jewelry”