800 Silver Necklace AN? Identification Help needed

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AngieA

800 Silver Necklace AN? Identification Help needed

Post by AngieA »

Hello all. I have a necklace that I just found a silver mark on that reads 800 ANO ? It's the last letter I am having difficulty with, could be a D or an R or backwards c? I just don't know. Item seems unusual to me.
Any help is appreciated.... Thanks! Angie
AngieA

Took more pictures~

Post by AngieA »

Here's some more pictures and I am starting to think that what I THOUGHT was AND or ANO may be hallmarks that I can't distinguish even with the loop. AND, I believe SPOT is under the eagle.... Even if you have any ideas as to source or anything. Thanks.
X
X
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Angie,

I believe it is Italian, the imagery is all Roman, some ancient, some later. The marks under the eagle are probably SPQR, forgot the meaning, but it was the symbol of ancient Rome. The crossed keys and miter are the Papal Arms, the bulls symbolize the taurobolia(?), an ancient Roman religious ceremony and the main pendant is a figure of a Satyr.
Most of the parts are sandcast, a technique popular in Italy. It is the type of souvenir piece sold to travelers on the Grand Tour and is probably very late 19th or early 20th century. The marks near the 800 are not likely to be hallmarks, most likely they are maker's initials.

Regards, Tom
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Would guess your piece is Italian, several city coats of arms are represented: the fleur-de-lis for Florence, the crossed keys and Papal crown over the angel for the Vatican City, the rampant bull for Turin, and the shield with six balls is for the Medici family. The others look familiar but can't seem to place them.

Cheryl ;o)
AngieA

THANK YOU THANK YOU

Post by AngieA »

I can't thank you all enough! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

It is so wonderful to have you all out there for help and so KIND of you to share your wealth of knowledge with novice me!

THANK YOU!
Angie

Return to “European Jewelry”