Help with this mark on a scapular (4-way) silver cross

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Kentuckycornelius

Help with this mark on a scapular (4-way) silver cross

Post by Kentuckycornelius »

Hi,

I found this cross metal detecting a homesite in Louisville KY that has been lived in since the 1850s. I'm trying to get a date range and a Makers name for a cross I've found. I've tried looking through the various marks, but haven't had any luck yet. It does say sterling across the bottom, but it is so small it is hard to get a good picture of that. It is the mark above sterling I am having a hard time finding. Does anyone here recognize the mark? It looks like some kind of symbol then the letter k??? the cross weighs approx. 5 grams. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! I hope this is the correct forum. I'm not 100% sure it's American...

ps to the forum moderator:
You might want to add a step in your picture posting directions with imgur. The last direction that is needed to add ".jpg" (or whatever filetype you uploaded) to the url when you copy it to this forum. It's probably intuitive to most people, but it took me a bit to figure that out. Otherwise your instructions were spot on.
fluteplaier2012

Re: Help with this mark on a scapular (4-way) silver cross

Post by fluteplaier2012 »

I'm not sure about the maker's mark specifically, but the M with the cross intertwined on the back is a Catholic Marian Cross or the Miraculous Medal or the Medal of Our Lady of Graces. It may help narrow down makers if you look for those that made Catholic devotional medals in the time period of the homesite.

Return to “American Jewelry”