First silver purchase ever - Antaya Sterling

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AllSeasons

First silver purchase ever - Antaya Sterling

Post by AllSeasons »

Hello,

I made my first silver purchase ever a couple of days ago. It was an online auction, and I just wanted to find out a little more about the piece. I'm also planning to expand my silver collection after this, or start one rather.

In any case, it's an Antaya rosary piece that's supposedly sterling silver. It weighs 28.5g, which I believe is roughly 1 ounce. It says "Sterling Antaya" on the back of one of the pieces. It did a little research online, and actually found an older thread about the Antaya Brothers on this forum; hence my posting here. It seems that the Antaya Brothers first started in 1948 in Attleboro, Massachussetts, but the company is now defunct. The family may have also been making religious jewelry pieces before 1948. It seems that they also made military insignia pieces.

Here're a few questions that I was hoping to get some advice on. Thank you in advance.
  • Is this real? The item description said sterling silver, and I do see "Sterling" and the registered mark on one of the pieces, Is it safe to assume that it's 100% sterling silver? I do see a little bit of green on one of the links in one of the photos, which concerns me a bit. But I also read that sterling silver does tarnish over time, due to 7.5% copper content.
  • How old is this piece? It seems quite well used/loved, and there's quite a bit of tarnish on it, which may be due to fingers rubbing the piece (while saying the rosary) or a hot and humid environment. Hard for me to judge the age, though.
  • Should I try cleaning it at all? I've heard somewhere that it's better not to clean antiques, but the cleaned ones do look a lot shinier.

Here're some images:

(admin edit - please ensure you read the Posting Requirements )
JLDoggett
co-admin

Re: First silver purchase ever - Antaya Sterling

Post by JLDoggett »

It should all be sterling. That is an easy assumption. The green is from humidity.

As for cleaning, I certainly would, It would look a lot better, and it is not a 16th century piece. As for age? I would say 1950's.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

The crucifix doesn't look quite convincing. It appears to have a silver film worn in several places. If it has no hallmark, it would be good to check.
Best
Amena
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello
I agree with Amena ,the cross looks to be plated (a lot of worn areas )

regards Guido.
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

Actually the crucifix appears to have been rhodium plated or possibly lacquered (which would require physical observation and both processes used for years), though i lean to the lacquered. The wear pattern is appropriate,

The crucifix may also be a replacement. only physical observation and testing can determine the truth.
AllSeasons

Post by AllSeasons »

Thank you for all the responses. Is there a way I can check the silver content of the crucifix at home? I unfortunately do not have the machines or nitric acid. Would rubbing it with a wet piece of cloth be okay (or help)?

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Cleaning with a cloth and silver polish can help.
You should see it shine like the dove.
And while you are at it, clean the Madonna too
Good luck
Amena
silverly

Post by silverly »

The brothers were Donald Antaya and John Baptiste Antaya III.

It looks like it may say something on the side of the cross.
AllSeasons

Post by AllSeasons »

Thank you for the replies. I reached back out to the (reputable) seller, and they confirmed that they did testing on the crucifix, and it tested sterling. I also checked the side of the crucifix again as another posted pointed out, and it does say sterling, which the seller also confirmed. It was pretty small, so I missed it. The seller also confirmed that the whole thing, including links and everything, is sterling. So I think I'm good.

I just purchased another silver item, which is in the process of being shipped to me, so will post about that once I get it.

Cheers!

Return to “American Jewelry”