Sterling Charms - Maker's Mark Identification Help Requested

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Mireille11

Sterling Charms - Maker's Mark Identification Help Requested

Post by Mireille11 »

Hello to the forum!

This is my first time posting here after an exhaustive online search has yielded no answer regarding the maker's mark in the 3 embedded images below. The fact that it's a single symbol, or letter, has made it very difficult to search for, vis-a-vis narrowing the search language/words. Unfortunately, I am not even certain that these items are American, but thought I would try this forum as a starting point. I have tried searching under the letters "O" and "C" and any variation of a circle I could think of, e.g. half-circles, semi-circles, arches, open circle. In addition to silver reference sites such as this one, I have also checked costume jewelry reference sites, and sites specific to charms. My local library does not have any of the great reference books, like Kovels' American Silver Marks, where I *might* find it.

Background/where they came from: My Dad used to be an engraver, and did a lot of business with jewelers. There was one jeweler, who, when he closed up shop/retired, gave my Dad a bunch of stock he had left, new, old, and used, and these charms were in the lot. The jeweler himself came from Germany, of Swedish descent, so he did have charms from those countries as well, which is why I'm uncertain whether they are American or not. I believe he gave them to my Dad in either the 1980s or 1990s, so they're probably mid-to-late 20th century, wherever they came from. I am just interested in solving the mystery of the maker. I'm not an expert at this, so forgive me in advance if the answer is nothing short of staring me in the face! (admin edit)

Thanks to all for any clues/leads/answers. Kind regards, Mireille

(Note: The last image is the only non-charm item, being a stick pin with the same mark, which also matches one of the charms in the photo above it.)

AG2012
contributor

Re: Sterling Charms - Maker's Mark Identification Help Requested

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
See here how the charms (pendants) were made using jeweler's saw :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqikSp-yeRA

The only stamp is ``sterling``; the rest was cut with jeweler's saw, including ``C inverted C`` which is probably the trademark of the retired jeweler (his initials ?).
Regards
Mireille11

Re: Sterling Charms - Maker's Mark Identification Help Requested

Post by Mireille11 »

AG2012 - Thank you very much! That is a direction I would never have known or thought to pursue, very helpful! Thank you! Mireille :)

Return to “American Jewelry”