Unger Brooch

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
bonsai

Unger Brooch

Post by bonsai »

I'm trying to find some info on this brooch I bought. I cant find many examples of this model, only 1 which I'll post next.
Anyway, I was told b/c of the way the vent holes are it's likely a fake?
But since I'd never heard of that I went looking and found tons of other brooches from Unger on the market with vent holes like this....
So I'm unsure what to make of it.

Any thoughts?

bonsai

Re: Unger Brooch

Post by bonsai »

Now, I've only found 2 examples of brooches in this model online.

This is NOT MINE, but one that was previously sold from another online seller.
The back is identical, even the mark.

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

For further reading, see: Information Regarding Unger Brothers

Trev.
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

dognose wrote:Hi,

Trev.
forgive me... the history is interesting but I dont see anything related to my question?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

I see nothing wrong with vent holes.The brooch is made of two halves;the front is die stamped and soldered to the back, meaning the brooch is hollow.
Without vent holes it would explode when hard soldered under high temperature and acid pickling afterwards.
How can you expect to find many Art Nouveau examples of the same brooch ? Even two identical pieces is a success.
Btw.steel dies for stamping silver sheets are very expensive and profitable to fake only if hundreds or thousands examples are made on industrial scale.
In short, I think your brooch is genuine.
Regards
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

bonsai wrote:
dognose wrote:Hi,

Trev.
forgive me... the history is interesting but I dont see anything related to my question?
Any replies are for the benefit of anyone interested enough to read them, not just the OP.

Trev.
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

AG2012 wrote:
I see nothing wrong with vent holes.The brooch is made of two halves;the front is die stamped and soldered to the back, meaning the brooch is hollow.
Without vent holes it would explode when hard soldered under high temperature and acid pickling afterwards.
How can you expect to find many Art Nouveau examples of the same brooch ? Even two identical pieces is a success.
Btw.steel dies for stamping silver sheets are very expensive and profitable to fake only if hundreds or thousands examples are made on industrial scale.
In short, I think your brooch is genuine.
Regards
Excellent thanks. I didnt know that re the steel. so basically if it's a fake we'd expect to see many replicas?

Re the vent holes I am seeking more info b/c I was told they should be "drilled" and these appear to be "punched with a nail" and that might indicate a fake.
I've looked high and low and find a # that look to be similar to mine. So I'm wondering if it's just natural variability in the pieces. I've also found stamps exactly like mine (the E in sterling is worn off at the bottom).
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

I've seen a # of "lovers dream" items that look like cheap replicas to me. Some not marked, others with the wrong bail for a locket. That would explain the large #s of that pattern (the steel dye and needing large # to produce fakes)
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Fakes,in general:
On close inspection the joint between the two pieces (back and front) is visible in some sections around the edge.
There are other flaws that do not appear to be the result of normal wear.
Lack of detail.
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

I was told to watch for solder balls and all that
Re the lack of detail, for ex look at my brooch on the top left. There are no details of the silver beads. I believe they were, however worn away from holding as this i is where it'd be held. I inspected it closely and i'm unsure how (if it is a fake) they'd have detail on all the areas and miss that like that.

Re the soldering of the 2 pieces I believe mine is well enough, but would that wear away with time too to become visible in some areas? i began inspecting other unger brooches on sites and can see some solder lines in places... but I believe the pieces are legit.....just perhaps worn from wear.

Should these 2 types of "wear" be expected with age or are they more indicative of fakes?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Attempts to fake wear are not very successful because passage of time (hundred years) leaves micro traces in all directions which cannot be faked.
Soldered edges are sometimes visible even on high quality jewelry, but very discrete if due to wear after 100 years.
It takes time and experience with many examples in hands and inspecting them with 10 x jewelers loupe.
Regards
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Almost every fake Unger bros piece I have seen is made via Electroforming, it's fast and cheap and usually pretty obvious.
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

legrandmogol wrote:Almost every fake Unger bros piece I have seen is made via Electroforming, it's fast and cheap and usually pretty obvious.
thank you both for the replies. I was reading about electro forming. My brooch does not appear to be made in that way correct? I'm looking at acquiring a locket now so trying to learn as much as possible. I've seen some that are quite clearly fakes.
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Yes, your piece was not made with electroforming. The details on your piece are sharp and beautiful and it is definitely authentic
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

Thanks. As I've been trying to learn more and more and studying types of silver fakes. Am I correct that this is a piece that is most likely fake?

Return to “American Jewelry”