Help Reading Marks/Lettering?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
constantine

Help Reading Marks/Lettering?

Post by constantine »

Hello,

I need help deciphering the marks/lettering on this worn religious medal. This is probably simple, but I didn't want to assume anything. Also, I don't have the item in hand as of now. Finally, the current producer of this design is Bliss MFG, but their hallmarks are absent on this medal.

My first question: Is that a copyright symbol "C"?

And: I'm not sure what the lettering is before 1964 and couldn't find similar stamps for reference. The first letter is worn away, but I was seeing and guessing " ANTQUE " On the other hand, I have a friend who thinks it's "UNIQUE"

Thank you very much for the help!

Traintime
contributor

Re: Help Reading Marks/Lettering?

Post by Traintime »

Definitely a copyright symbol. I'd agree on UNIQUE...the I has a scratch which just decieves you into seeing a T. Now if Bliss is an American company and this had a dometic patent office filing, Unique might just be a branding name. So the copyright may not refer to the design, but to the word name UNIQUE as a trademark. You might be able to find it.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Rainwater had E. A. Bliss Co., Meriden (1875-)....started as Whitney & Rice Co., North Attleboro...thence E.A. Bliss (1883)...moves to Meriden (1890)...adds sterling (1893)...becomes Napier-Bliss Co. (1920)...finally Napier Co. (1922). Perhaps your much later Bliss Mnfg. is somehow related. Napier did use branding names.
constantine

Post by constantine »

Thank you very much for your help and pointing me in a good direction!

Also thank you for helping me with deciphering the lettering. With your observation, I blew out the contrast and did a negative view on the pic. I can now see the strong case for the scratch deceiving the eye. And, I think that a "U" would be appropriate for the first letter.

Return to “American Jewelry”