Help with Identification of Maker's Mark/Hallmark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
briolette

Post by briolette »

Fantastic photos, weetziebat!

We're working diligently on this, and your photos may prove to be very helpful. Thank you and have a great weekend.
briolette

Update to Maker's Mark

Post by briolette »

Hello...to any and all who might be interested in my discovery of the maker's mark, for which I initiated this post: the company is the former, Shube's Manufacturing Inc of Albuquerque, NM. Their trademark, indicated in several photos here, actually represents "Sb", incorporatiang a capital "S" with a conjoined, small "b".

They are a wholesale concern that's been in business in Albuquerque for almost 40 years. In 2006, SMI was acquired by a Ohio conglomerate, but still maintained operations in Albuquerque as the slightly altered Shube's Inc until late 2008, when they merged with South Dakota Gold Company. Today, this consolidation markets as Dakota West Design, Inc, maintaining facilities in Albuquerque, NM under the auspices of the Ohio company.

Thanks to everyone here for either their interest and/or their help. It provided me with the incentive I needed to soldier on in pursuit of this maker's mark.

Regards
briolette
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Sorry everyone.

I wrote Performed Parts and it should have been Preformed Parts.

Pat.
lulu24

Post by lulu24 »

Hello,
Did you happen to find out the manufacturer of this makers mark? I have been trying to find it as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
silverly

Post by silverly »

For what it's worth, George Schuler was the president of Preformed Parts Inc., so his association was very close.

It looks as though Rainwater quoted the Jeweler's Circular because it described the Geo Schuler and Preformed Parts, Inc connection as an association, and anyone who has that book knows it was their habit to use the circular as a reference. It is a good one for sure.

Hopefully, I didn't just overlook this point in the posts!
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Link to my post on Schuler/Preformed Parts:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17719" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

~Cheryl
gemsfitforaqueen

Re: Help with Identification of Maker's Mark/Hallmark

Post by gemsfitforaqueen »

In regards to Shube's Manufacturing Inc of Albuquerque, NM. Firstly, THANK YOU for your research! I've ran across 3 pieces now in the last year with this mark. NOW, what I'm wondering, is since SMI is now operating under different names, are they still using the same $ (or S & b) stamp as their hallmark?
jlrka

Post by jlrka »

In the continuing saga of 'SCHULER' & 'PREFORMED' I'll add these to the unknown. This pendant has no .975 or sterling mark that I could find. It does have, what looks like the conjoined PP. It also has a date. 189?. The last # is illegible. It was stated in this forum that Schuler started in 1907. The Schuler website states "fine jewelry since 1889".
Does anyone think this also might be Schuler? Has anyone seen another of their pieces that were dated?
Thanks
X
X
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

That's a Shube piece, I see the $ mark, and newer. The mark to the left of it looks like it could be 925. There is a copyright mark so dates no earlier than 1955, I believe, but this Southwest Dreamcatcher style with liquid silver was popular starting about the late 1980's.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

The mark looks to me like it may be a poorly stamped conjoined "Sb" mark of Albequerque, NM based Shube Mfg. present on the other pieces shown in this thread, and your fairly recently made piece would appear to be consistent with that manufacturer's production. Can't say that I see anything resembling "189?" - perhaps the middle mark is a "925" stamp, distorted by the somewhat rough casting? None of the silver pieces on this thread have any connection to George Schuler/Preformed Parts, and seems very unlikely that the Shuler's Jewelers (note spelling) in Norristown, PA has any connection to the no-longer-in-business Pleasantville, NY based George Schuler/Preformed Parts.

~Cheryl
RyanOshea

Post by RyanOshea »

I just came across a ring last nite with this mark on it. I found it interesting. And it lead me here. I do a lot of metal detecting. This is the second silver ring in the last 24 hours. But it had a funny little dollar looking makers mark that really got me interested. The ring has a blue stone. And is rather small. 3.5 grams. I love finding out about each find. So. What was the conclusion here? Did you all find out the maker??

I will try to include my two pics of the ring with the mark. there is a copyright mark also. But I can see it is poorly stamped. Or worn. ??? Anyway. Here is my ring with the same stamp.

X

-Ryan O
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

It's definitely Shube's.
silverly

Post by silverly »

This is what the USPTO site has for Shube:

X

(REGISTRANT) Shube's Manufacturing Inc. CORPORATION NEW MEXICO 600 Moon Street, S.E. Albuquerque NEW MEXICO 87123.
The first use in commerce for the mark was 1986, and the mark was registered in 1996.
RyanOshea

Post by RyanOshea »

Thanks guys.
YourBest

Post by YourBest »

The hallmark of this is Dakota West, I think they are from New Mexico and they merged with Shube's and South Dakota Gold merged together to form Dakota West.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi YourBest,

Welcome to the Forum.

Thanks for adding the information.

Trev.
lorieann1224

Post by lorieann1224 »

I hate to disagree, however this dollar sign is actually one of man
    y Silpada Hallmarks. If you visit eBay, search for a small sterling and pearl snowman pendant. On the back has the same hallmark. I did research this hallmark and it is Silpada. He also did a southwestern style jewelry, liquid silver with cone endings, his hallmark consisted of a sunrise on each cone, Carolyn Pollacks hallmark is similar but includes her CP as well. Silpada's hallmarks ranges from which area his jewelry comes from. His older pieces do not include hallmarks, but are just stamped 925. There are a variety of websites you can go to for more information.
      lilnurscm

Post by lilnurscm »

Ahhh The Mystery Mark of DAKOTA WEST Designs Jewelry. IT is the one pictured & I am 100% positive about that. The company produces southwest ss charms & jewelry & has been around for some time--look them up! The symbol is the one line dollar sign, copyright symbol etc. If you are wondering where the "S" came from, it's taken from their former name "Shube."
      lilnurscm

Post by lilnurscm »

Just to be clear, Silpada has never used the one-line S or dollar sign symbol. That is one of those rumors that came to be as a result of this former unknown symbol by the Dakota West Design company. It's too bad one cant see the S & b more clearly & it ends up looking like a one line dollar sign.
      Jackieee

Re:

Post by Jackieee »

briolette wrote:Tom...I feel like such a nincompoop!!! Based on your comment, I've just inverted my photo to reveal that, indeed, the symbol has not been stamped in the reverse of the dollar sign at all. A dollar sign might well be what it's meant to represent. weetziebat, I've posted a new "right side up" photo here so that you can see that we're, in fact, talking about the same mark.

Tom, is it your feeling that these pieces hail from the Pacific Rim?

This hallmark is by
      Dakota West Designs - Albuquerque, NM
      Shube's, Inc. founded in 1972 in Albuquerque, NM; manufactured sterling jewelry
      Shube's & South Dakota Gold Co. merged to form Dakota West Design, Inc.

Return to “American Jewelry”