Confusion between if this translated mark is Chinese or Japanese

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Browntrout

Confusion between if this translated mark is Chinese or Japanese

Post by Browntrout »

Hello,

I have a seal that I have translated at Mei Ji (美记), which can either be a Japanese "Meiji" period mark, but does not make sense on its own. Or, it can be a Chinese mark meaning Mei (a person's name) and Ji (meaning a workshop). Both of these make sense, however the Chinese makes much more sense, plus this piece is more of a Hong Kong style to boot in my eyes. I searched this forum for this mark, online in databases I have, as well as both in English, Japanese and Chinese websites, but did not find this mark anywhere. These are the best images I have, so I also enhanced the image of the hallmark. Excuse any errors, I have not been here is a very long time. Any input would be gratefully received, thank you all, Greg. P.S. I have read about images and trying my best to do it right!

Adrien von Ferscht
contributor

Re: Confusion between if this translated mark is Chinese or Japanese

Post by Adrien von Ferscht »

MEI JI 美記 is the name of the artisan workshop; it's Chinese
"MEIJI", the Japanese dynasty, is 明治 [MINGZHI] in Mandarin
Adrien von Ferscht
contributor

Post by Adrien von Ferscht »

The decorative motif is of a peony; symbolises wealth, prosperity and rank
Identifying birds in Chinese art is notoriously difficult, particularly in silver wares. The peony has a bird perching on a stem; not sure which bird that's supposed to be, but a rooster with peony symbolises 富贵大吉 "fugui daji" - "may you receive wealth, rank and good fortune"
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Browntrout
Not sure if you are interested,in my similar bottle ,posted 18-May 2021 under Asian &Middle East Section ,"Small perfume bottle maybe Chinese or American"
You will find a lot of these if you search ,Silver overlay ,Haig pinched wisky bottles.

Regards Guido.

Return to “Far East”