asian china japan india silver hallmarks identify help

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
bowl1

asian china japan india silver hallmarks identify help

Post by bowl1 »

Hi
I'm new to the forum and I need help. I have a very old silver bowl from the right room. Can someone tell me who owned the brands. What is written there. The political country and the manufacturer recognize me, artist goldsmith ??? etc.
I am really looking forward to help.

bowl1

Re: asian china japan india silver hallmarks identify help

Post by bowl1 »

Ag999
contributor

Post by Ag999 »

Hi,
The Thai writing (written with dots) says it's a high grade of silver and that it weighs about 2-1/2 ounces.

I can't read the Chinese parts, but it's safe to say it was made in Thailand by a Chinese company/maker.

The workmanship is not so good. Also, you should test the silver content. Don't rely only on the "high-quality silver" writing.
SilverBuggy

Post by SilverBuggy »

I have something similar. Except the bottom mark says that "it is made of 1st degree silver and it weighs 55 baht". Could you enlighten me on the purity of the so-called "1st degree silver"? I have not found much info about it in English. Thanks!
Ag999 wrote:Hi,
The Thai writing (written with dots) says it's a high grade of silver and that it weighs about 2-1/2 ounces.

I can't read the Chinese parts, but it's safe to say it was made in Thailand by a Chinese company/maker.

The workmanship is not so good. Also, you should test the silver content. Don't rely only on the "high-quality silver" writing.
SilverBuggy

Post by SilverBuggy »

The second image is the name of the silversmith "陈伟秦",and the third is probably the name of the company "大园". I am typing in simplified Chinese while the hallmakrs are in traditional Chinese. So there might be some differences.
Ag999
contributor

Post by Ag999 »

SilverBuggy wrote:I have something similar. Except the bottom mark says that "it is made of 1st degree silver and it weighs 55 baht". Could you enlighten me on the purity of the so-called "1st degree silver"? I have not found much info about it in English. Thanks!
[/quote]

The Thai silver content designations are often not reliable. The piece could be a lower grade silver or even nickel silver (no silver content). You would need to test it with a silver test kit, but even then you can't likely differentiate between 90%, 95%, and 100%.

Here's my translations of the four most common designations stamped on the bottom of Thai silver bowls and other objects, starting with approx. 90% and going to 100%:

เงินดี (ngern dee) “good silver”
เงินที่ 1 (ngern ti nung) “#1 silver”
เงินที่ 1 พิเศษ (ngern ti nung piset) “#1 silver special“
เงินบริสุทธิ์ (ngern borisoot) “pure silver”

Those should range from about 90% silver to 100%, but like I said, they usually, or often, don't.

If your test (using the stone scratch method) shows red for high grade silver content, you can expect it to be between 90% and 100%.

55 baht weight would be approx. 27.5 reg. ounces.

Hope this helps.
SilverBuggy

Post by SilverBuggy »

Thanks a lot! The bowl and ladle are marked "เงินที่ 1 พิเศษ". Their wieght is the same as marked. However, the silver content does not. I took both to a bullion shop and had them scanned with a silver-purity-testing scanner. The bowl contains about 50 to 67 percent of silver, while the ladle contains about 54% of silver. I think both were sold to tourists, so the vendors cut corners in these cases. I bought both cheap, so it is still not a bad deal. Both pieces are very pretty.
bowl1

Post by bowl1 »

Hello
manny thanks for your informations. TOP

Return to “Far East”