Help with marks on teapot

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
cochese

Help with marks on teapot

Post by cochese »

Hi folks, new to the forum. I mainly collect a different kind of silver - coins of the world with Chinese chopmarks. Very related but different than what you all focus on here. By the way, if anyone wants someone to talk their ear off about chopmarked coins, I'm your guy.

Along with my interest in chopmarked coins, I like to pick up an item here and there that relates to the period chopmarks were placed on coins, such as China trade art and Chinese export silver.

I recently picked up this teapot, and I'd appreciate your help on identifying the period and maker.

The only thing I found for KW is Kwon Wo, but the teapot looks Georgian to me which wouldn't fit with the time period of that maker. The company looks to be 信遠. Appreciate any help you can offer.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Help with marks on teapot

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Yes, it appears to be the work of Kwan Wo (Kun He) workshops. They are were recorded as working from Canton and Hong Kong from 1875 to 1940. They had a reputation as being very versatile in their output, following no particular style or fashion and would make whatever was required by the customer.

Trev.
cochese

Post by cochese »

Appreciate the reply Trev. Can you help me understand the relationship between the KW and the Chinese mark? Was this the company that KW was working for/with? Is this one a well known mark? Thanks for your help.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

I only have a very limited knowledge of such marking, I guess it depends on what is stated in the punch. It may refer to quality, or perhaps more likely, it may identify the actual silversmith, with Kwan Wo being the retailer only of the item.

Hopefully someone better qualified will add their thoughts.

Trev.
cochese

Post by cochese »

Thank you again. Hoping others will also jump in here to add what they know.
cochese

Post by cochese »

Anyone else have info on these marks they could share? Thank you in advance.
Ag999
contributor

Post by Ag999 »

I second the comment by Dognose: The Chinese characters most probably identify the actual silversmith, with KW, Kwan Wo, being the retailer. That's how it usually was with most of the Hong Kong and much of Chinese silver of that period.

Return to “Far East”