Chinese markings on silver spoon unknown correctly displayed

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
DONNAFAY31

Chinese markings on silver spoon unknown correctly displayed

Post by DONNAFAY31 »

I recently found this spoon at an estate sale. I wish to give it as a gift but have no information on the spoon other than circa 1900's and Chinese possibly. Any information would be appreciated greatly.

DONNAFAY31

Re: Chinese markings on silver spoon unknown correctly displayed

Post by DONNAFAY31 »

Help! I am at my wits end trying to figure out where this spoon came from. If anyone has any idea of the markings, please help. I am not the person to care about the value, I am now obsessed with learning the initials and if it's just some replica someone threw out on the market, and was found at an estate sale.
DONNAFAY31

Post by DONNAFAY31 »

Confirm please!

After so much research, I am seeing an identical initial marking on many of the early 1900's Wang Hing flatwares that came out of Honk Kong prior to WWII. If anyone can ascertain if this is possible, please advise.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Sorry you have had to wait for a response for so long. It would appear to me to be possibly a product of the Wang Hing workshops. As the firm were in business for nearly 90 years they used a large variety of marks and no doubt at times punches became worn or broken.

Another possibility is another Hong Kong silversmith whose name is undocumented but used the mark 'WHL', your mark may be a partial striking of this mark.

There are members with a far better knowledge of Chinese marks than me, and are only occasional visitors to the website, hopefully one of them will drop by soon.

Trev.
DONNAFAY31

Post by DONNAFAY31 »

Thank you Trev. I truly appreciate any help. I want to Shadowbox it with the history behind it, for my Daughter. Her initials are TSP and I have always called her my little teaspoon, so I just want as accurate a story as possible to go with it. She loves all things Asian! Really do appreciate the help!

Return to “Far East”