Continental Silver Tea Caddy? ID

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Dannd

Continental Silver Tea Caddy? ID

Post by Dannd »

Hello!

I would like some help identifying the date/origin of this piece. It has a very Rococo look to it but I doubt it dates back that far. I believe it may be European (it has a continental 800 silver stamp) although I have seen this form before but done in a heavy Thai design and style, not in this European rococo looking style so I am a bit confused. However, this piece came 'together' (I got them in a same lot) with a sterling silver trinket box made in Siam (Thailand) so Im not sure if they come from the same location. The bottom is marked '800 MAD' which may just be the first few letters of 'Made'. Also a second question, would this show better if its polished? I am afraid to polish it just because I like the almost niello look from between all the details in the piece but its quite tarnished. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time!

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Continental Silver Tea Caddy? ID

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Have a read of this article: http://www.925-1000.com/a_yogya.html

Trev.
Dannd

Re: Continental Silver Tea Caddy? ID

Post by Dannd »

Hello,

Thank you! That's definitely where its from. I had suspected it was from the far east. Thanks for moving it to the appropriate category as well.

Return to “Far East”