Silver Sugar Dish Marked 90%

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Dannd

Silver Sugar Dish Marked 90%

Post by Dannd »

I have a silver sugar (?) dish Id like to know more about it, primarily its silver content. On the its lid it is stamped 90% and on the bottom portion its stamped 1.90%.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

I have tried and failed to find any information on silver marked with those markings so hopefully someone can help me figure out what it means and if any further information could be given of its origin or if its actually for sugar would be appreciated thank you!

amena
contributor

Re: Silver Sugar Dish Marked 90%

Post by amena »

I bought some similar bowls in Laos and Burma. The ones I have are solid silver, and probably yours too.
Reagrds
Amena
Dannd

Post by Dannd »

Thank you for your quick reply! After doing some more research, the comparables definitely look SE Asian in origin so that was a great help! Are your pieces marked with the % as well? I was initially thinking this was part of a tea service set but after doing more research, Ive run across "Water blessing" bowls as another possible function (especially with its removable base). Would there be any way of dating this piece? Thanks again for your help!
Dannd

Post by Dannd »

Note : Just to add some of what my research has turned up in case someone else has a similar piece as mine. Its apparently a Cambodian Silver Ceremonial Cup which is a combination of rice bowl and wine cup (although other sources say its for water). Some other sources I find it is called a "P'tel" (the top portion) and the bottom "Cheung Pearn" apparently used for religious and marriage ceremonies. This is as much I have been able to figure out.

http://www.csupomona.edu/~library/speci ... /bowl.html
http://www.cambodia.org/clubs/khemara/slvoff.jpg
davidross
contributor

Post by davidross »

While this form is often called a "rice bowl," I think these are usually reserved for making offerings of food or drink on a Buddhist altar. The majority of Burmese homes have some form of altar.

The 90% mark looks quite recent.

Regards,

DR

Return to “Far East”