Help with mark on family heirloom sterling coffee service

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
ashandlomom

Help with mark on family heirloom sterling coffee service

Post by ashandlomom »

Just found this coffee service in an old trunk of my late grandparents. I have no idea where or when it was made/issued. It has a unique bamboo type design and is only marked STERLING on the bottom of each piece with the exception of the sugar tongs which are stamped STERLING 970.

I would appreciate any help at all...thank you.
http://photobucket.com/ashandlomom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ashandlomom

RE: My post

Post by ashandlomom »

I realize that my photos are less than perfect, but still wondering if anyone could be of any assistance? I have found that the service may be Chinese or Japanese which seems likely as my grandparents were stationed in Yokahama immediately after WWII.

Thank you in advance for any information on this beautiful piece of my family's history.
byron mac donald

Post by byron mac donald »

Hi Ash-

The term sterling could be from almost anywhere, interesting enough the sugar tongs could be from Mexico. Do they match the rest of the set? and are there any other marks on th items? possibly somone here can tell by the style alone... just not me. Here is where I identified the tongs as possibly being made in Mexico:

http://www.925-1000.com/a_Standards.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry I could not be of any help.

Byron
ashandlomom

thank you

Post by ashandlomom »

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Yes, the sugar tongs match the rest of the set. They are also in a bamboo style. Not sure where to turn to next. I suppose finding someone in my neck of the woods to take a look at the set.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Your pictures are somewhat helpful, though better shots and a clear look at the marks would be nice. From what I can see and your description, most likely a post WWII Japanese set, if your grandparents purchased it in Japan after the war, it would have been new. While 950 fineness is more often seen in these pieces, your tongs are not uncommon in having a 970 mark, 960 and 980 also show up occasionally.

~Cheryl
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It is more than likely that the set is Japanese mid-20th century.

Regards, Tom

Return to “Far East”